About The Position
TCC Group is seeking a seasoned professional to lead the firm’s Philanthropy practice. This person should have extensive experience in the philanthropic sector and the ability to lead client consulting engagements, business development efforts, and team management. We are seeking someone with consulting experience who can not only perform high-quality client work, but who also has a proven track record in attracting business and has a strong reputation of expertise in the philanthropy strategy arena. This person should be an excellent strategist; strong team leader; and compelling marketer of the firm’s services.
This position will be based in TCC Group’s New York City office and work on projects across the country.
About TCC Group
TCC Group is a Certified B Corporation, founded in 1980, that provides management consulting and planning services to the social sector. Our mission is to develop strategies and programs that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of nonprofit organizations, philanthropies, and corporate citizenship programs to achieve social impact. Our core services are strategy; foundation, program and grants management; capacity building; and evaluation. We help clients devise strategies, implement programs, evaluate progress and outcomes, and make ongoing improvements so that they can better achieve social impact. Our unique strength lies in the ability to leverage knowledge from our complementary practices, which build on and inform one another:
- Strategy: TCC brings strategy to all of our projects. We help our clients consider the big picture and its implications on their “universe”, whether it be a nonprofit field, geographic community or combination thereof. We understand that the bottom line for a nonprofit organization is maximizing social impact through successfully achieving its mission.
Foundation, Program and Grants Management: Our consultants help design and manage grant programs, often playing a part-time program officer role for larger corporate or independent foundations and providing program and administrative support to family foundations.
Capacity Building: Our expertise in nonprofit effectiveness supports funders and large nonprofit associations/federations in providing capacity-building consulting services (strategic planning, board development, program evaluation, leadership coaching, etc.) directly to nonprofits/affiliates, but also in assisting in the design and implementation of capacity-building initiatives.
Evaluation: TCC’s evaluation consultants have the analytics of our strategy team, the “applied science” approach of our implementation team, as well as the rigorous evaluation skills of academically trained researchers. Depending on the rigor required by clients, TCC has conducted comprehensive qualitative research as well as deep quantitative research, analysis and predictive modeling. Regardless, TCC’s evaluation approach focuses on learning and using research to make informed decisions, to make design improvements, and to innovate, all with the goal to maximize success.
TCC Group is headquartered in New York City, with offices in San Francisco and Philadelphia. We have more than 20 consulting staff as well as a wide network of affiliates. We work in teams of consultants that are assembled to reflect the client’s consulting needs and staff’s areas of expertise. All of our consultants have at least a Master’s degree as well as practical experience working in nonprofit organizations and philanthropies. We are critical thinkers, effective communicators, skilled facilitators, and insightful strategists. We work with organizations of various sizes and lifecycle stages, in a range of sectors such as arts and culture, health and human services, education, environment, youth development, policy and advocacy, and public administration, to name a few.
About TCC’s Philanthropic Services
TCC Group is organized into four business lines: Philanthropic Services, Corporate Services, Nonprofit Strategy and Capacity Building Services, and Evaluation. We are seeking a leader for Philanthropic Services. Work in this business line falls into three areas: strategy, foundation management, and foundation capacity building.
Strategy: TCC Group provides strategic planning services to private independent foundations, family foundations, community foundations, health care conversion foundations, and grantmaking public charities. This work typically involves data collection and analysis, report writing, facilitation and ongoing counsel. We also provide other types of strategy assistance to our foundation clients, including grants program design, capacity-building program design, and governance planning. The ability to lead high-quality client engagements in philanthropy strategy is paramount to success in this position.
Foundation Management: TCC Group provides a range of management services for unstaffed foundation clients. For these clients we serve as the primary foundation administrator, handling all grant administration and basic operational needs. We are the primary point of contact for grantseekers and the de facto staff for these foundations with no professional program or administrative staff. We provide a range of services, customized for each client’s needs: we handle matters relating to governance (e.g., planning and leading board meetings, developing board dockets, etc.); grantmaking (e.g., organizing proposal intake and review processes; conducting proposal review; overseeing grant payments; and managing grant reporting processes); finance (e.g., working with investment and accounting professionals to develop financial reports; ensuring compliance with IRS regulations); and generally ensuring that foundations operate as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Capacity Building: TCC Group helps foundations that are interested in building their internal capacity, whether through internal efficiency studies, reviews of internal processes, or facilitation of change management and organizational transitions, including launches and executive transitions. Our work in this area is data-driven, grounded in an understanding of the specific capacities foundations need to play the grantmaking and non-grantmaking roles that help achieve their missions.
Excluding the Director, the Philanthropy Team currently includes five members: Administrative Assistant, Grants Administrator, Analyst, Consultant, and Associate Director. The President and CEO is also an active member of the team.
The Director is a full-time employee who would be primarily responsible for managing the firm’s Philanthropy work and team.
Leading client engagements. Duties include:
- Serving as the project lead on multiple projects. Integrally involved in the project teams and all aspects of the consulting assignment
- Developing and monitoring project work plans and budgets.
- Conducting interviews and overseeing research.
- Overseeing the design of quantitative and qualitative assessment tools.
- Planning and facilitating meetings with boards, staffs, other stakeholders and observers.
- Writing and editing client reports and other communications.
- Preparing and making presentations to clients.
- Managing project teams and providing senior-level oversight to projects.
- Managing client relationships, including regular communications and meetings.
Business development and marketing, including:
- Playing a key leadership role in the development and implementation of TCC Group marketing strategies, especially related to philanthropy.
- Bringing business to the firm by identifying prospective clients, overseeing the drafting of proposals, leading sales meetings, and “closing the deal.”
Representing the firm by speaking on panels at conferences and serving on committee of infrastructure organizations and professional networks
Bringing positive attention to the firm by serving as a “thought leader” in the field by publishing papers, articles, blogs, and disseminating knowledge.
Philanthropy Team management, including:
- Refining and updating a vision for the firm’s Philanthropic Services, including desired social impact, priority audiences, capacity needs, and growth trajectory, in coordination with the firm’s Leadership Team.
- Developing annual Philanthropy operating plan and ensuring that strategies are implemented and goals are met.
- Recruitment and hiring of Philanthropy Team members.
- Supervising Consultants, Analysts, and Administrative Assistants.
- Ensuring the appropriate training and professional development of all Philanthropy Team members.
- Supervising the project work of Philanthropy Team members: Consultants, Analysts, and affiliates.
Assisting with overall management responsibilities for the firm.
- Serving on the firm’s Leadership Team, sharing responsibility for ensuring that the firm’s financial health, talent pool and social impact goals are achieved.
Required Skills and Background
- Graduate degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in the philanthropic sector.
- Consulting experience: extensive experience and deep expertise in strategic planning with foundations and non-profits, and knowledge of evaluation, organizational capacity-building, and foundation and grants management.
- Substantive knowledge of key area(s) of public policy and program (e.g., children and youth, community development, the arts) and ability to demonstrate this knowledge.
- At least five years in a supervisory or management role.
- A strong professional network in the philanthropic sector and a demonstrated ability to leverage that network to increase visibility of a project or organization.
- Experience as a “thought leader:” developing and delivering content for workshops, conferences, articles, etc.
Excellent analytic skills: Intellectual curiosity, creativity, strategic thinking and a strong desire and capacity for work with a wide variety of clients and situations.
- Demonstrated client service skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong management, supervisory, and mentoring skills.
o Ability to be a strong team leader.
o Ability to prioritize and delegate work appropriately.
- Ability to manage and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
-Willingness and ability to travel for business.
How to apply
Applications, including cover letters and résumés, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey at [email protected]
No telephone calls, please.
TCC Group is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on TCC Group, visit http://www.tccgrp.com.