SV2 seeks a successful recruiting and business development professional with demonstrated experience in membership/partnership recruiting and relationship management, and experience creating partnerships to grow the SV2 community and revenue.
Partner recruiting and business development is one of the most critical priorities for SV2. In collaboration with the SV2 CEO and Chief Relationship Officer, the Director of Partner Engagement will cultivate and close new donors (called Partners), manage the retention process for existing Partners, and help develop new strategic relationships with Silicon Valley organizations.
The ideal candidate is a successful professional with demonstrated experience in sales, business development and partnerships that illustrates a strong track record in sourcing, cultivating and closing qualified leads, relationship building, and overall pipeline management.
About SV2- Silicon Valley Social Venture Fund
SV2 - Silicon Valley Social Venture Fund is a vibrant giving network of more than 200 Partners who come together to learn about effective giving and pool their money and talent to support promising social ventures throughout Silicon Valley and the world.
SV2’s donor “Partners” bring together their skills, energy, ideas, and capital to make a bigger, more meaningful difference than any one person could make alone. SV2’s Partners together decide which emerging, innovative nonprofits and social enterprises will receive SV2’s grants and impact investments. Our grants are intended to invest in the organization's overall capacity, rather than to fund any specific program. Partners select Grantees and mission-aligned for-profit companies that have high-potential models and are at crucial inflection points in their development, where engagement with SV2 can have a transformative impact on their work.
Founded in 1998 by Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, SV2 embraces two main goals: 1) to build the organizational capacity of our Grantees so they can increase their effectiveness and impact; 2) to inspire and build the philanthropic skills of our Partners and their families. We pursue the first aspect of our mission by providing our Grantees multi-year funding to help them build infrastructure and scale their impact, along with pro bono advising and strategic support from individual Partners and Partner teams. We pursue our second aspect of our mission by offering: experiential grantmaking programs, and engaging learning and skill-building sessions; volunteer and service opportunities for adults, teenagers and younger children; and networking opportunities within our diverse, impact-oriented Partnership. SV2’s funding comes primarily from our Partner families and foundations. SV2’s office and community meeting space is located at the Sobrato Center for Nonprofits - Redwood Shores.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
The Director of Partner Engagement and will work collaboratively with SV2 staff colleagues and Board to grow the SV2 Partnership and diversity our revenue through strategic partnerships. Key responsibilities include:
Managing the recruitment process (50%)
The Director will be responsible for managing prospective Partners that come into the SV2 pipeline, cultivating them from first interest through close. The Director will work closely with the SV2 Chief Relationship Officer.
Managing the Partner retention process (30%)
The Director will be responsible for stewarding all current SV2 Partners, in service of strong Partner retention. This includes onboarding new Partners, facilitating New Partner Orientations and pairing new Partners with “buddies/mentors,” pairing renewing Partners with Board members for annual check-in conversations, working with the SV2 Operations Manager to track Partner participation metrics, identifying Partners who may be at risk for attrition and creating appropriate strategies.
Collaborating on new pipeline development initiatives (20%)
The Director will work closely with the Chief Relationship Officer and other staff to create new and cultivate existing programs and partnerships to generate leads and new channels for SV2 revenue in service of SV2’s vision and mission. Examples include exploring corporate partnership opportunities, ensuring our Partnership is demographically reflective of the Silicon Valley community, and expanding the number of working professional and/or NextGen Partners.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Deep passion for the vision, mission, core values and work of SV2.
- Innovative, entrepreneurial spirit; a self-starter. Someone who can see the big picture and also manage the details.
- Proven recruiting, business development, and/or membership/partnership experience with a successful track record of pipeline management. Experience in recruiting or development at a nonprofit and/or grantmaking organizations is a plus.
- Analytical skills and ability to solve problems as they arise.
- Demonstrated success working effectively in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment where flexibility is required.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and participate as a highly effective team member.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of people, including volunteers and Board members.
- Understanding of nonprofit organizations and the social sector.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Strong familiarity with LinkedIn and similar platforms/sites used in business development and recruitment.
- Experience with Salesforce highly preferred.
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend events, with advance notice
Physical Demands / Environment
The physical demands described in this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the ability to periodically attend meetings with prospective Partners and community members outside the office. It requires out-of-town travel roughly one-two times per year with advance notice for conferences and key meetings.
- Salary for this full-time exempt position is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- PPO health insurance plan, vision and dental plan
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of annual salary
- Paid holidays (seven days with five additional flex days) and Paid Time Off (15 days/year in first three years)
- Professional development stipend of approximately $1,000 per year.
- Training and connecting with other Social Venture Partners International network staff is available electronically throughout the year and occasionally in out-of-town locations.
Application – Deadline: June 10, 2018
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume (in one PDF) with the subject line in the following format -- YOUR NAME, DIRECTOR OF PARTNER ENGAGEMENT -- to [email protected] no later than June 10, 2018. We will be reviewing applications and qualifying top candidates on a rolling basis. Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you!