The California Community Foundation (CCF) is a public, charitable organization serving Los Angeles County in multiple capacities since 1915. We encourage philanthropy by individuals, families, companies and organizations, and serve as a trusted steward of their charitable funds and legacies. We make grants and collaborate with nonprofits in specific areas, and concentrate attention and resources on the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and groups in the community. CCF convenes and engages nonprofit, private and public sector partners to increase philanthropy and incorporate philanthropists into community problem solving in Los Angeles.
CCF is a dynamic environment that values individuals who want a purpose more than a position. We have a diverse and talented team of experienced and passionate advocates for our community. We are a learning organization driven by the idea that continuous improvement furthers professional development and increases our ability to effect positive change. We seek individuals who thrive in a fast-paced setting highly focused on results and impact.
CCF is hiring a Director of Human Resources and Office Services, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. This position is responsible for providing Human Resource strategic guidance and support to the foundation, including overseeing compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as oversight of CCF’s office services and general administration and administrative tasks. The position supervises a team of three, including the office manager, receptionist and assistant.
- Human Resources Strategy Development: Recommends and maintains an organizational structure and staffing levels to accomplish the foundation's goals and objectives. Creates a strategic training and organizational development plan to meet the foundation's needs, as well as employees' personal and professional goals. Oversees the design and development of the foundation's compensation strategy and programs and recommends improvements to the benefits program to facilitate employee retention as needed. Reviews and recommends revisions to current CCF policies and procedures as necessary and with respect to changing federal and/or state requirements. Evaluates the gaps between the foundation's human resources culture and its goals and objectives and provides recommendations as necessary.
- Recruitment: Assists management and leadership with assessment of department staffing requirements and qualifications. Researches and recommends media to be used to advertise employment opportunities with the foundation. Posts open positions. Screens and routes resumes as appropriate. Participates in and facilitates interview process in conjunction with managers and other necessary personnel, including scheduling interviews and corresponding with candidates. Oversees background and reference checks. Debriefs with hiring manager after interview process in order to help match candidates and position requirements and expectations.
Benefits: Oversees the administration of all benefit programs. Handles program enrollment and termination of employees and dependents for all health and insurance benefits, retirement plan and all other benefits provided by CCF. Processes and updates payroll, pension and benefits information. Processes invoices and monitors invoice payment. Provides updates to EDD.
- Facilitates the process of reviewing, benchmarking and selecting health insurance carriers' proposals before open enrollment in conjunction with the leadership team. Oversees and coordinates benefits annual enrollment. Produces and distributes materials related to medical and other benefits’ open enrollment. Processes paperwork and documents changes to employee and dependent enrollment.
- Manages leave of absence process in compliance with CCF policy and federal and state laws. In conjunction with Finance, reviews and maintains retirement plans and benefits. Serves as member of the staff committee of the retirement plans.
- Payroll: Oversees the administration of time and attendance and compliance with federal and state regulations. Monitors and updates time and attendance using web-based tracking system. Tracks and posts benefit time usage including vacation, sick leave, family leave, jury duty leave and other leaves provided for in CCF’s personnel policies. Ensures that non-exempt staff is compensated according to wage and hour laws through monitoring of attendance reports. Responds to requests for information from management. Assists employees with completion of appropriate paperwork and ensures timely receipt of leave-related communications.
- Training and Organizational Development: Designs training opportunities that enable employees, at all levels, to develop skills and competence needed to be successful in their chosen careers or prepare for new responsibilities by participating in a variety of developmental programs. Researches and recommends internal programs, vendors, and technology platforms able to provide training, required classes or developmental optional opportunities. Creates and maintains general calendar and internal communication systems that track attendance to required classes and promotes awareness of optional programs.
- Compensation and Performance Evaluation Program: Assists the leadership and management by providing and analyzing current market data. Administers compensation plan in compliance with foundation, state and federal guidelines. Researches and provides efficient and updated employee evaluation tools. Provides performance evaluation training to new managers and refresher courses to all managers as needed. Oversees and coordinates the annual performance evaluation process.
- Employee Onboarding: Reviews and revises employee orientation process as needed. Conducts new employee orientations. Oversees the maintenance and archiving of employee and payroll records. Creates, procures, revises and assembles orientation materials for all newly-hired employees.
- Separations: Generates and distributes separation paperwork to employees. Conducts exit interviews. Coordinates final payroll check with Finance department. Maintains COBRA compliance and administer unemployment claims with state.
- Employee Relations and Performance Management: Assists management, leadership and employees with employee relations issues. Investigates and recommends resolution to employee complaints/concerns. Assists managers with employee performance concerns, including recommendations for training, improvement plans and timelines. Maintains legal compliance with state and federal rules and regulations. Maintains consistency in application of company policies and procedures.
- Safety: Administers Workers’ Compensation program. Responsible for maintaining and revising CCF’s safety and wellbeing program, comprised of the illness and injury prevention program, emergency operations plan and business continuity plan.
- Reporting: Maintains records and complies with various federal and/or state reporting requirements or requests in conjunction with necessary staff or entities, including OSHA reporting, state requests, audits, legal responses, etc. Organizes, maintains and ensures security of paper and electronic personnel, recruitment and benefits files. Provides verifications of employment according to CCF policy.
- Administration: Oversees general office services and administration for CCF through supervision of office manager, assistant and receptionist.
- Department Oversight: Creates budgets and timelines for projects and manages workflow. Cultivates and supervises a strong staff. Evaluates staff and department performance. Approves and processes department invoices.
- Leadership: Serves as a member of the foundation’s Chief Financial Officer’s Lead Team, attending management team meetings, completing assignments as required and coordinating work between departments and with external vendors, as necessary. Identifies and pursues opportunities for internal integration of work across functions and departments to make connections and leverage the strengths and efforts of CCF.
- General: As appropriate, assists other departments and works as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure the effective and efficient operations of CCF. At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers. Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Experience: Minimum of seven years in a senior-level HR position. Experience in design, development, and implementation of salary administration plans and benefit programs. Experience in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures. Knowledge of organizational development theory and practices. Knowledge of computerized payroll, timekeeping, and HR information systems. Excellent knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations. Demonstrated skills in planning, management and staff development and supervision. Successful managerial experience in leading a diverse team and mentoring/coaching staff.
- Education: Master’s degree in human resources, organizational development or human resources certification, or equivalent experience is required.
- Communication Skills: Superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to write clear and comprehensive procedures and instructions and to clearly and concisely explain policies and procedures. Ability to exercise the utmost confidentiality and discretion when handling sensitive material and situations. Excellent customer service skills.
- Leadership Skills: Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings. Experience in strategic planning and execution. Effective training and development capabilities.
- Technology Skills: Internet competency and strong computer proficiency, including mastery of the Microsoft Office software suite and a familiarity with database software, is required. Working knowledge of Blackbaud software a plus, with a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs. Knowledge of and experience with payroll, HRIS, benefits and time management systems required.
- Project Management Skills: Excellent organizational skills and ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects. Ability to respond to multiple and competing demands.
- Team Work & General Skills: Ability to work well independently and as team member. Ability to take initiative, and follow tasks through to completion. Ability to lead a team toward CCF's goals, leveraging each team member's skill set.
- Requires the ability to sit and work at a desk for several hours at a time.
- Requires the ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office, which may require occasional use of a motor vehicle for transportation to other locations.
- This position is required to be available via telephone at all times for work-related emergencies by other Foundation staff, building staff or emergency personnel within the Pacific time zone.
- Work may require occasional weekends and/or extended work day.
- Punctuality and satisfactory attendance are essential functions of the job.
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. A generous benefit package is provided to all full-time staff, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, parking or transportation, and retirement benefits.
How to Apply
To apply to this position, please visit our website at www.calfund.org and select “Careers” or go to http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/calfund/publicjobs
CCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees, and we make employment decisions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, gender expression, age or any other protected status. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable federal, state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.