Rose Community Foundation strives to enhance the quality of life of the Greater Denver community through leadership, grantmaking and donor engagement – stewarding philanthropic resources and investing in strategic and innovative solutions to enduring challenges and emerging issues. Since 1995, the Foundation has granted more than $285 million to organizations and initiatives focused on Aging, Child and Family Development, Education, Health and Jewish Life in the Greater Denver area – recently adding a cross-programmatic community action overlay of support for organizations serving immigrants, refugees and communities vulnerable to discrimination and hate crimes.
The Foundation is seeking an experienced, talented, and enthusiastic development professional to join our Philanthropic Services team as Director of Gift Planning and Advisor Relations. This professional will champion the Foundation’s asset development efforts with individuals, families and professional advisors, growing the community of donors the Foundation works with and stewarding existing and longstanding relationships. He or she will bring knowledge of planned giving, diverse charitable giving vehicles, and complex gifts to support the Foundation’s donor-centered approach. Working with the Vice President of Philanthropic Services and the Philanthropic Services team, he or she will be accountable for setting and meeting annual development goals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Charged with being an ambassador for the Foundation’s work to serve and strengthen the Greater Denver community, the Director of Gift Planning and Advisor Relations will:
- Identify, engage and solicit new individuals and families interested in utilizing donor advised funds as a vehicle to achieve their philanthropic goals, providing them with excellent stewardship and philanthropic knowledge to support their charitable giving
- Oversee the Foundation’s planned giving program, Rose Community Legacy Circle, including developing and implementing stewardship and communications plans and securing new planned gifts
- Build and steward relationships with professional advisors through the Foundation’s professional advisor council and by representing the Foundation externally to ensure we are a known and trusted partner in philanthropy
- Understand, document, and steward donors’ intentions and objectives through donor agreements and Foundation database records
- Monitor the tax and regulatory environment that may impact community foundations and/or charitable giving vehicles and keep the Philanthropic Services team and the Foundation’s leadership team informed of changes in an effort to enhance the Foundation’s philanthropic services strategies and ability to accept complex gifts
- Provide support for the Nonprofit Endowment Cohort and Live On | LIFE & LEGACY initiatives by providing planned giving content expertise
- Collaborate with Philanthropic Services colleagues to encourage growth of existing donor advised funds and maintaining primary relationship management in some instances
We are seeking a candidate with at least seven years of experience working directly with donors or professional advisors in a multi-faceted nonprofit, financial services organization or community foundation.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with high-net-worth individuals and their advisors. He or she will have deep knowledge of and familiarity with asking for, and accepting unique types of asset gifts. The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal skills and attention to detail. An understanding of philanthropic operations, prospect research and use of a constituent relationship management system is required. Experience successfully communicating with a wide range of constituents is a must. Familiarity with the tax and regulatory environment governing nonprofits and foundations, and familiarity with the nonprofit and/or philanthropic sector in the Greater Denver community is preferred.
The ideal candidate will be creative and positive with a can-do attitude and a good sense of humor. He or she will be an excellent listener and strong, respectful communicator. He or she will be team-oriented and self-motivated, with a drive to achieve results and to support others with trust and collaboration. Experience working with diverse populations, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds is important to us.
The Director of Gift Planning and Advisor Relations will be flexible, open to new ideas and approaches, self-aware, and empathetic, consistently demonstrating a growth mindset and approaching his or her work with passion, humor and humility. He or she will operate from a place of gratitude with a desire to serve the Rose Community Foundation team, including staff, board, grantees, and donors, and also to serve the Greater Denver community by advancing the Foundation’s work and mission. He or she must be a relationship builder, fostering positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders while maintaining discretion, professionalism, and confidentiality.
Salary and Benefits
This full-time, exempt position’s starting salary will be commensurate with background, experience and sector benchmarks. Rose Community Foundation currently offers a competitive benefits package including employer-supported health, dental, vision and life insurance, short- and long-term disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off including holidays, professional development opportunities, and a matching gift program.
Rose Community Foundation believes in the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Foundation is committed to equal employment opportunities and prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
How to Apply
The submission deadline is March 24, 2019. Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé and salary requirement to: Search Committee at [email protected] with the subject line “Director of Gift Planning and Advisor Relations.” No phone calls or additional email messages, please.