The Wendt Center for Loss and Healing, a non-profit, outpatient mental health center specializing in grief and trauma, is currently seeking an experienced director to join our senior leadership team as Director of Finance.
Responsible for the financial management of the organization including medical insurance billing. Oversees finance and billing department, risk mitigation and compliance, and as a member of the senior team, provides leadership and financial strategy to the organization.
Financial Oversight and Reporting
- Maintains accounting department in accordance with established internal controls, policies and procedures and GAAP
- Supervises Senior Accountant and Billing Coordinator
- Leads the preparation and implementation of organization’s annual operating budget
- Develops and manages accounting policies and procedures
- Monitors spending in accordance with budget, working closely with department and program directors of burn rate, spending patters, etc.
- Tracks agency expenditures and receipts
- Manages cost accounting and allocations for multiple programs and funders
- Prepares cash flow projections and recommendations
- Manages payroll service to assure accuracy/ reliability of payroll and related tax obligations and reporting such as quarterly Tax Form 941
- Manages preparation of all DC and federal agency returns as required
- Develops, prepares, and delivers all financial and managerial reports including monthly actual to budget, detail and analysis, board, funder, proposal and payables reports
- Prepares for and manages the annual audit and federal grant audits when required (A-133)
- Works closely with front desk administrative staff as well as other Department and Program Directors and managers
Financial Grants Management
- Works with department and program heads to prepare and implement all budgets for grants and funding proposals
- Tracks financial reporting requirements for funders and ensures accurate financial reporting and funder compliance
- Submits monthly and quarterly financial grant reports, back up materials, invoices, etc.
- Utilizes and leads work with EMR/ billing software to track and provide useful reports, increase/grow collections, and assist in configuring billing software for maximized utilization
- Oversees client and insurance billing, maximizing revenue and minimizing claim denials, and improving processes for collections and statements
- Oversees and maintains contracts and compliance with insurance companies and provider credentialing, negotiates fee for service contracts, manages CAQH and other payer credentialing requirements
- Provides leadership to the organization as an active member of the senior management team
- Engages in the development and implementation of the Center’s strategic plan
- Engages in learning and growth activities to improve job and department performance
- Understands/develops and/or implements policies pertaining to Department functions and effective, ethical financial management
- Represents Department before Board of Directors
- Attends Finance Committee and Board meetings and provides status reports
- Advises Leadership Team and Board on financial issues and ways to maximize financial position
- Provides oversight for organizational risk management/ liability reduction (liability insurance, etc.)
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Minimum 10 years non-profit finance experience in the areas of budgeting, managerial financial reporting, and grant reporting and administration required
- Ability to manage extreme amounts of detail while being strategic required
- Experience supervising staff required
- Proficiency with accounting software and spreadsheets required
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred
- Experience with insurance and fee for service billing preferred
- Experience on a leadership team preferred
- Ability to demonstrate the Wendt Center values;
- We believe that healing from life’s worst moments is possible;
- We express kindness to all; caring and compassion are at the heart of all we do;
- We practice collaboration and teamwork, recognizing that none of us can do it alone;
- We strive to be lifelong learners, and actively seek opportunities to expand our personal and professional knowledge.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and uphold the Center’s philosophy and mission
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary commensurate with experience; benefits include paid holiday, vacation and sick time, flexible schedule, 403b, health insurance contribution, life insurance and parking.