At Hopelab, we’re united by our shared passion for positively impacting the health and well-being of young people. We’re tackling some gnarly challenges: from improving the lives of at-risk young moms, to boosting the resilience of adolescent and young adult cancer survivors, to supporting emotional well-being of college students.
The Position: Director of Finance
Our Director of Finance is our go-to person for everything financial to ensure that we have smoothly running operations so Hopelab can do its best work. While the job title appears traditional, the role provides the opportunity to support an organization on the leading edge of innovation. The Director of Finance is a strategic and effective leader who ensures that our finance systems serve our needs in the highest quality manner, comport with ethical and prudent business standards and respond to emerging issues in an analytical and organized yet collaborative and win-win manner.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Are your friends surprised you are a finance person?
- Are you searching for more meaning in your career - a job aligned with your personal values?
- Are you a CPA with an educational background in finance, accounting, economics, business or related disciplines?
- Do you have at least 5-7 years of increasingly responsible finance and accounting experience?
- Do you have non-profit accounting comfortably under your belt?
- Are you emotionally intelligent - open, self-aware, and a great communicator?
- Are you an innovator - not just willing to use “tried and true” approaches but interested in meeting customer and organization needs in creative ways?
- Can you easily move from the 1,000 foot to the 1 foot view and execute day-to-day ops with finesse and delight?
- Do you focus on outcomes more than rules - listening to understand objectives and finding unique solutions to challenges that might stymie others?
Is this you? Then read on…
In a nutshell, we are looking for someone with progressive experience in finance and accounting and all the knowledge, skills and competencies to demonstrate success in a not-for-profit context. Some job details are listed below!
- Serve as expert and leader to management and staff, ensuring finance systems and practices serve the needs of Hopelab.
- Lead the finance unit and providing strategic direction, coaching and supervision to our senior accountant and seasonal finance interns.
- Contribute to Board of Director meetings as requested.
- Actively engage related for-profit and nonprofit finance colleagues to address relevant cross-organizational financial issues.
Budget Development and Management
- Develop a simple, elegant and customer focused budget structure and reporting system that aids departments in meeting our mission. Design and structure systems to be flexible to meet our evolving goals and interests.
- Partner with department heads and project leads annually to forecast budgets for future years
- Work with department heads and project leads on an on-going basis to identify costs that are in or out of the current budget and co-create solutions to address variances.
- Prepare the annual strategic plan and budget documents and periodic board finance and related compliance reports.
Financial Systems and Operations
- Oversee and manage all accounting, budgeting, payroll, and cash management systems and functions.
- Oversee the optimal use of accounting and budgeting software (Intacct\SIBP) and integrated expense reporting applications (Expensify).
- Maintain an internal controls structure as is comparable for our size organization.
- Prepare for and coordinate activities to support the annual audit of financial statements. Stay current with all regulations and requirements required for nonprofit organizations.
Personnel Operations and Benefits
- Work closely with our Senior Manager of People and Culture on human resources and personnel related issues
- Recommend employee benefit program changes annually based on utilization and costs ensuring that Hopelab stays competitive in the marketplace for top talent
- Serve on Hopelab’s 401K Investment Committee and administer the 401K plan in coordination with external consultants.
- Provide timely, accurate financial reports and analysis for senior management, department heads, board of directors, and others in need of agency financial information.
- Serve as an expert and resource for senior management and other staff on budget and accounting issues.
- Ensure financial reports are developed to support efficient management practices.
Curious? Then please apply!
We are partnering with Walker and Associates Consulting - a strategic management consulting and search firm located in the Bay Area - to facilitate this search. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to [email protected] on or before 5:00 p.m. PST on Monday, March 2, 2020. Use the subject line: Director of Finance Search. Submission via one combined PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. Resume review begins immediately.
Questions or Nominations? Contact Jeannine Walker, Executive Vice President, at [email protected].