GirlVentures brings diverse groups of girls together for outdoor adventure programs that include backpacking, hiking, kayaking and rock climbing, and integrates leadership development, social-emotional learning, and social justice. We are seeking an experienced full-time Director of Development to join our team, report to and work closely with the Executive Director. The Director of Development will strengthen and expand the organization’s development activities, building relationships and strategies to achieve GirlVentures’ mission and fundraising goals. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and growing organization working at the forefront of inclusive girls’ leadership programming and outdoor education. Find out more about our work at www.girlventures.org.
Compensation and benefits are competitive and DOE, with specific salary information available on request. The position is based in San Francisco, CA. GirlVentures is committed to inclusion and diversity, and welcomes inquiries from all interested applicants. People of color and those identifying as LGBTQI are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
To apply, send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter sharing why you are applying for the position and how your experience would advance GirlVentures’ work to [email protected] by February 28th, 2018.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
Grants Management and Donor Relations (70%)
- Craft and implement a development plan to increase contributed income through grants, individual, and corporate donations.
- Identify and cultivate relationships to maximize foundation, government and corporate philanthropy.
- Ensure successful annual fundraising events, including the Hike for Girls, Fall Gala, Banff Film Festival partnership, and others.
- Oversee grants management including: research new foundations and corporate philanthropy opportunities; write and submit LOIs and grant applications; report on awarded grants.
- Plan fundraising events including sponsorship solicitation, logistics, and follow up.
- Craft donor and development messages for traditional and online communications, including for the annual holiday appeal.
- Produce website content and marketing materials utilizing photos, testimonials, and program evaluation statistics.
- Maintain and build relationships with the experiential education community and other stakeholders, including crafting strategic communications and hosting site visits
- Utilize program impact evaluations, survey data and collateral (letters from girls, parents) in support of development activities.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to assess development strategies, set goals, identify fundraising priorities, and monitor organization’s fundraising progress.
- Field corporate and individual requests for potential partnerships as needed.
- Oversee Salesforce data entry including documenting communications, managing grant pipeline and deadlines, creating and running reports, and hosting trainings for staff members.
- Create emails for monthly newsletters and other mass communications using MailChimp and Serial Mailer, as well as manage the master list of subscribers.
- Work with consultants and volunteers as needed
Individual Donor Cultivation (20%)
- Work with the Executive Director to lead individual donor cultivation and send personalized communications to supporters.
- Recruit for and lead the Ambassadors Circle junior Board in their fundraising efforts and provide support for their events.
Organizational Management (10%)
- Work with Executive Director and Board Treasurer to develop fundraising plan including tracking earned revenue for the budget and preparing monthly fundraising reports.
- Understand financial accounting processes and work with the Executive Director, Treasurer and Bookkeeper when appropriate to provide accurate development reporting to Board of Directors and funders.
- Create and track a fundraising budget.
- Report regularly to the Executive Director and Board of Directors regarding development objectives and progress.
- Provide input into organizational branding and communications strategy as it relates to development activities.
- Represent GirlVentures at community and networking events.
- Oversee Administrative and Development Assistant duties, including Salesforce data entry, social media posting, coordination of marathon fundraisers, and external donor engagement and communications.
The successful candidate for this position will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree, with a Master’s Degree preferred
- A minimum of five years of experience working in fundraising, donor relations, grant-writing, communications or a related field, with increasing responsibility over time
- Demonstrated success in institutional and individual fundraising, and events management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to adapt messaging to a variety of audiences and to build meaningful relationships
- Strong attention to detail and high accuracy in writing and editing documents and spreadsheets
- Experience in budgeting and data management
- Ability to develop and implement creative, cost-effective solutions to emergent challenges
- Experience working effectively with diverse communities
- Ability to work effectively in a team and take initiative to complete individual projects
- Experience with Salesforce and Microsoft Excel strongly preferred
- Passion for social justice and girls’ empowerment
- Self-awareness, humility, and a good sense of humor