Gateway Public Schools is a public charter school organization located in the Western Addition neighborhood of San Francisco. A 2017 California Gold Ribbon School, Gateway High School was founded nineteen years ago by a group of parents committed to providing a college preparatory education to a diverse community of learners including those historically at-risk. Following thirteen years of success at Gateway High School, school leaders opened Gateway Middle School in 2011. Today, both schools are in demand, fully enrolled, and realize nearly 100% annual high school graduation and college matriculation rates.
Gateway Public Schools’ innovative programming, demonstrable student success, and participation in the evolution of public education, have led to substantial growth in both reputation and revenue. As Gateway prepares to further expand their schools’ visibility and open a state of the art “Impact Lab” for science, technology, engineering, arts, and math, Gateway seeks a passionate, experienced Director of Development and Outreach to join its collaborative leadership team.
This opportunity will allow an experienced and innovative development professional to capitalize on current fundraising success, join a dynamic school community with unquestionable dedication to mission, and drive strategic advancement of the organization in partnership with the Executive Director, Development Team, and Board of Trustees.
The successful candidate will bring a creative, hands-on, and strategic approach to development efforts in support of organizational goals and school operations. Experienced in both individual and institutional giving, s/he will be responsible for all aspects of a comprehensive development program that currently raises $1.8M annually. The new director will develop develop comprehensive, effective development strategies and systems, cultivate new donors, and lead the planning, management and implementation of all major fundraising efforts for Gateway Public Schools. The Director of Development and Outreach serves on Gateway's senior leadership team, and is a key ambassador of the organization to stakeholders including families, community partners, and funders.
Working with Gateway’s leadership, the Development Department, and the Development Committee, develop and implement annual fundraising goals and strategies. These goals and strategies will include the following:
- Major Gifts: Lead and implement major gifts program through the entire cycle of development. Serve as a key contact and liaison for Gateway’s major donors and oversee their ongoing cultivation and engagement by members of the community.
- Annual Giving: Lead annual identification, cultivation and solicitation program to connect new donors to Gateway and expand Gateway’s donor base. Lead Gateway’s efforts to initiate and establish sustained relationships, including annual giving opportunities, for families and alumni, building an organization-wide culture of philanthropy.
- Institutional Giving: Research, identify, and write grant proposals to secure foundation, corporation, and public funding. Establish and maintain responsibility for all institutional donor relationships and reporting.
- Fundraising Events: Administer, manage, and direct all development related events including the annual Matters of the Mind fundraising luncheon and additional events as determined during the year.
Growth campaigns: Working closely with Gateway’s leadership, help develop strategies, materials, and tactical plans for growth campaigns. Lead current multi-year major donor campaign intended to strengthen existing programs and grow Gateway’s impact on public education.
Management: Manage Gateway’s Development Team, Gateway’s Development Committee, and Gateway’s Campaign Committee, providing leadership, clear objectives and fostering a strong sense of teamwork and opportunity.
Outreach: Oversee production of all fundraising, marketing, solicitation, and communication materials in coordination with the Director of Communications. Oversee community outreach and public relations efforts including press relationships, government relations, community events, etc.
Database and reporting: Oversee report preparation, gift processing, and Salesforce database management. Provide timely analysis and data driven reports to Executive Director and the Board and Development Committee.
Board Relations: Prepare monthly development reports, and attend monthly Board of Trustee meetings. Work closely with Gateway’s Development Chair and Development Committee to encourage and support a culture of stewardship amongst our Trustees.
Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
- Development/Fundraising Experience: Proven success and extensive experience (7+ years preferred) in nonprofit development. Track record of achievement with major gifts, capital campaigns, events, and multi-channel fundraising from individual and institutional funders. Demonstrable ability to grow individual giving programs.
- Leadership: Demonstrated flexible leadership skills including relationship management and team building. Experience managing a professional development team and in planning, leading, and managing development initiatives, including tracking and reporting on progress. Collaborative, participatory leader.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit and Innovative Thinking: Ambitious about social impact and social change including the pursuit of equity. Knowledgeable in innovative fundraising practices and avenues. Creative and strategic thinker who takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones.
- Communication Skills: Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, able to passionately communicate Gateway’s mission and vision to various constituents. Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills, including grant writing and reporting. Skilled at establishing strong relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
- Technology: Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Salesforce, prospect databases, and other digital platforms.
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience. Includes medical, dental, vision, and 403(b) matching.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to [email protected]. In the subject line, please include your FIRST and LAST name, the job title for this position, and the company name (“Name - Director of Development - Gateway Public Schools”).
Please do not contact the client directly. Schaffer&Combs is retained by Gateway Public Schools to manage the Director of Development search. Schaffer&Combs solves problems and provides growth solutions for purpose-driven organizations.