Global Greengrants Fund is a Boulder, Colorado-based public charity that mobilizes resources to communities worldwide to protect our shared planet and work toward an equitable world. We believe solutions to environmental harm and social injustice come from the people whose lives are most impacted. Every day, our global community of people on the front lines and donors comes together to support people to protect their ways of life and our planet. Because when local people have a say in the health of their food, water, and resources, they are forces for change. Since our founding nearly 25 years ago, we have made more than 11,000 grants in 168 countries, mobilizing more than $71 million to support the work of local groups.
The Director of Development is responsible for executing a high-level strategy to build diverse, consistent funding to support Global Greengrants’ mission and impact. Working closely with the VP of External Relations, the Director of Development helps set strategic goals and identify funding plans to support them. S/he supervises the Deputy Director of Development, Major Gifts Officer, and Development Database Associate, and oversees day-to-day fundraising operations toward a goal of $12M annually. The benefits of this role include unlocking the potential of the team to fearlessly build relationships and secure gifts that support the vision of the organization. A culture-creator, the person in this role is results driven; believes in the power of creating environments where people can thrive; brings confidence, enthusiasm, and exceptional communication to everything he/she does; and has a demonstrated track-record managing a successful, high-octane fundraising team. The person in this position is a member of the Development and Communications team, and reports to the VP of External Relations.
- Oversee and drive forward the day-to-day operations of the team, ensuring alignment on priorities and next steps;
- Manage and grow the capacity of the development team; provide direction and oversight of prospect strategies, annual fund campaigns, grant submissions, stewardship, and budget development.
- Help design and deliver on a reliable, yearly and multi-year funding strategy to support the organization’s strategic goals
- Supervise the Deputy Director of Development, Major Gifts Officer and Development Database Associate
- Identify, build, and maintain relationships with key partners and supporters, including prospects and multi-year partnerships
- Coordinate with the VP of External Relations to ensure clarity of message and fundraising strategy, the VP of Program to ensure coordination with specific programmatic initiatives, and the CFO to ensure strong cash-flow to meet yearly organizational priorities
- Leverage and engage the President, Program team, Board of Directors, and global network in relationship and partnership development
- Represent the organization externally at conferences and events
- Motivates the team toward results and develops new, creative strategies to keep pushing us forward. Doesn’t just manage the team, but is responsible for its success in raising $12M annually.
- Personally responsible for approximately $2M in revenue per fiscal year.
- Develops new networks, strategies for reaching new prospects, and grow relationships for the benefit of Global Greengrants
- Participates in the creation of reasonable financial goals for donors, based on the donor’s passions and giving capacity
- Creates timely reports that reflect portfolio and performance
- Maintains a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems
- BA/BS degree
- Seven to 10 years of experience in a combination of foundation and/or major gifts fundraising (1×1 asks)
- Demonstrated experience managing a fundraising team
- Intentional, genuine relationship builder
- Superior strategic acumen, organization, communication, social, and writing skills
- Ability to travel domestically, and potentially internationally
- A deep commitment to and ability to uphold Global Greengrants’ mission, vision, and values
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Raiser’s Edge or other customer management systems
- Experience with the For Impact fundraising model, preferred
- Previous work experience at an environmental or social justice nonprofit, preferred
This is a full time exempt position that reports to the VP of External Relations. Global Greengrants Fund’s benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403b retirement plan, and flex plan.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until November 15, or until position is filled. In the subject line of the email, please include “Director of Development” and how you learned about the position. No phone calls, please.
Global Greengrants Fund is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.