About Family House
Founded in 1981, Family House provides critical support to families of children with life-threatening illness receiving treatment at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital. Serving more than 3,000 families per year, the new Mission Bay location is a quick walk from the hospital, accommodates 250 people per night and sustains nearly a 100% occupancy rate. Far more than just free, temporary housing, Family House is truly a home away from home and a beacon of the San Francisco community.
Made possible by an ambitious and highly successful capital campaign, the new Nancy & Stephen Grand Family House opened its doors in May of 2016. This impressive facility includes not only state-of-the-art amenities at no cost, but also features a wonderfully supportive community of people dedicated to providing a caring environment for the entire family while their child is undergoing treatment.
As an organization, Family House has experienced tremendous growth, both in terms of revenue and reputation, and enjoys broad support throughout the Bay Area community. Family House now seeks a passionate, experienced Director of Development to join its leadership team, build on the community’s goodwill, and increase the positive impact made in support of its mission.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced development director to capitalize on the success of the recent capital campaign, join a strong team with unquestionable dedication to mission, and personally interact with a deeply engaged volunteer and donor network. The successful candidate will bring a creative, strategic, energetic approach to development and will have the opportunity to help define the next chapter of Family House’s growth.
Reporting to and in collaboration with the CEO, the successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Family House’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. In addition, s/he will be responsible for the design and implementation of a comprehensive plan for creating key external alliances by cultivating individual, corporate, and philanthropic support.
S/he will expand and diversify Family House’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for the operation as well as the new initiatives of the new 80 room home in Mission Bay. In addition, s/he will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they continue their continued fundraising efforts.
It is expected that the amount raised by Family House will increase in future years as the Director of Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s endowment and overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the CEO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives. Support other various Family House committees and board initiatives.
- Develop and execute Family House’s annual fundraising/development plan, including corporate, foundation, individual, government grants, etc.
- Develop new and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Collaborate with and support the Family House grant writer to increase overall funding/grant success
- Work in collaboration with the Chief Administrative Officer in the creation/execution of numerous annual fundraising events
- Grow an active stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Provide the utmost heartfelt care and support in all family/guest interactions
- Research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Family House ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed, for reporting at Internal Development meetings, staff meetings and Board Committee Meetings. With the CEO and marketing manager, coordinate production of the Annual Report and year-end appeal letters.
- Oversee staff responsible for Salesforce administration, data entry, and gift processing
- Coach, develop, and mentor the development team
- As needed, provide flexibility to work on weekends and evenings
Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Ability to diplomatically deal with people in difficult situations, (including but not limited to patients, parents, families, neighbors, board members, staff, and funders) while exhibiting a consistent level of care and professionalism
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and nurture long-term relationships that inspire confidence, trust and respect
- Demonstrated experience and initiative in deepening current donor relations, expanding existing relationships over time, and cultivating and forging new ones
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Must be able to successfully prioritize, organize and multitask
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, work environments, management styles, and business trends
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of Family House
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships. Work effectively under pressure. Recognize and resolve conflicts, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Resourceful. Ability to develop and apply innovative solutions to problems.
- Ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, collaboration, teamwork and pride
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.com
- Experience with Greater Giving is helpful
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to speak and comprehend Spanish preferred, but not required
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. Includes full medical and dental benefits, a retirement program, and a bonus opportunity.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to email@example.com. In the subject line, please include your FIRST and LAST name, the job title for this position, and the company name (“Name - Director of Development - Family House”).
Please do not contact the client directly. Schaffer&Combs is retained by Family House to manage the Director of Development search. Schaffer&Combs solves problems and provides growth solutions for purpose-driven organizations.