Madison House Autism Foundation (MHAF) is seeking a full-time Director of Development and Communications to join our dedicated staff in Rockville, MD. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about uplifting autistic adults and elevating the unique challenges they face in our public discourse.
ABOUT MADISON HOUSE AUTISM FOUNDATION
Madison House Autism Foundation (MHAF) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating awareness of the lifespan challenges autistic adults and their families face. For the past 10 years, MHAF has been dedicated to finding, developing and promoting the solutions that allow adults with autism to make choices, live as independently as possible, hold jobs, feel connected to their communities and become participating members of our society. Headquartered in Rockville, MD, MHAF strives to connect the autistic community to society at large through innovative and dynamic programs and to bring the lives of these vibrant citizens to the forefront of our minds and the minds of business leaders and lawmakers everywhere.
This position is both strategic and tactical, as it is responsible for managing and executing Madison House Autism Foundation’s annual development plan while keeping a strategic outlook for ways to grow annual revenue. The ideal candidate has a clear grasp of all core components of development and fundraising, including: individual and major contributions, gold-standard stewardship practices, annual and online giving campaigns, corporate partnerships and funding, special event fundraising and sponsorship, and grant writing. In addition, this position will oversee external communication and vehicles such as development campaigns, MHAF email updates and newsletters and MHAF social media platforms resulting in greater public awareness and support of MHAF and its mission.
QUALITIES OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES
The ideal candidate is eager to grow resources and support for MHAF to achieve the goals of developing various innovative programs to meet the needs of the aging autistic population while pressing for change in laws and funding that affect the entire autism community. This individual is a seasoned development professional adept at supporting the fundraising work of a Board of Directors and Executive officers. This candidate is also excited to deepen connections with current donors and engage new ones, is eager to implement the development plan, and maintains a high level of flexibility in managing and collaborating with foundation founders, board of directors, staff, consultants, and volunteers. They communicate effectively and professionally across all platforms and accomplish their work with diplomatic finesse.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Management, Leadership and Development Strategy (ongoing)
- Participate in overall management of the organization as a leadership team member and actively support MHAF programs
- Continually manage and update existing annual development and donor stewardship plans to meet aggressive and long-term fundraising goals
Fundraising and Donor Relations (45%)
- Partner with MHAF Founders and Executive Director to identify, cultivate and solicit individual donors for major gifts
- Manage and develop initiatives and campaigns focused on donor prospecting and stewardship
- Identify and pursue corporate and foundation opportunities and manage external grant writing consultant
- Cultivate relationships with Executives and Board of Directors to support their development efforts
Planning and Tracking (15%)
- Establish and monitor revenue goals and budgets
- Participate in strategic planning for MHAF and provide strategic direction for all fundraising initiatives
- Deftly use Salesforce, MHAF’s CRM system to maintain all donor and prospect information and build reports
- Supervise staff with gift-processing and data entry, and ensure all systems are accurate and up-to-date
- Update annual communications plan/calendar to support development goals and elevate MHAF’s presence in the community via both electronic communications and physical marketing opportunities
- Supervise, direct and edit all designs and written materials
Fundraising Event Management (15%)
- Plans and executes approved fundraising events and campaigns such as the #AutismAfter21 breakfast events
- Supports other third-party fundraising activities and events that support MHAF
Staff Supervision (10%)
- Manage two (2) full-time staff members, the Development and Communications Manager and the Development and Digital Media Coordinator including supervision, training and coaching
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (REQUIRED)
- Flexible, entrepreneurial spirit with a demonstrated ability at achieving fundraising goals
- Masterful project management skills with a determination to exceed expectations
- Polished yet warm, able to build relationships throughout the community; from CEO’s to government officials to autistic adults and their families
- Excellent working knowledge of donor database CRMs and their capabilities
- Independent worker with the ability to manage up with grace and respect
- At least 8 years of development and fundraising experience with substantial time spent in leadership and supervisory roles having managed other fundraising staff and/or volunteers
- Experience holding fiscal responsibilities with proven track record of maintaining fiscal integrity and budget compliance
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s degree preferred
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Passion for with organizations serving adults with autism or other I/DD
- Communications and marketing experience a plus, particularity digital marketing and social media
- Energetic, outgoing, flexible, and able to thrive in a collaborative, evolving environment
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends, with ability to travel periodically in support of MHAF programs and events
Candidates should send 1) resume, 2) cover letter with salary range expectations and available start date, and 3) a writing sample to [email protected] with “Director of Development and Communications” in the subject line. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Only applicants who follow this process will be vetted. No direct calls please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties as necessary. Minimal heavy lifting and no strenuous activity required, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this position. Madison House Autism Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with