About GRID Alternatives
GRID Alternatives (GRID) is a national leader in making clean, affordable solar power and solar jobs accessible to low-income communities and communities of color. GRID is an entrepreneurial, high-growth non-profit organization that provides direct solar installation and project development; workforce training and service learning opportunities; and low-income solar policy advocacy.
Our vision: a transition to clean, renewable energy that includes and benefits everyone.
Based in Oakland, California, GRID has 9 regional offices and affiliates serving all of California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. GRID also works with tribal communities across the U.S. and internationally in Nicaragua, Mexico and Nepal. GRID has a dedicated staff of 350 and growing!
This position is in GRID’s headquarters, Oakland, CA office.
The Philanthropy Department develops and deploys philanthropic resources and advances strategies that strengthen regional fund development in support of GRID’s mission. Our vision is an equitable, scalable and sustainable organization.
As Director of Corporate Partnerships, you will support GRID's headquarters office fundraising goals, and provide mentorship and guidance to development colleagues based in regional offices. We are looking for an experienced leader who can pursue strategies that maximize revenue from corporate sources and leverage our corporate network to increase investment and impact.
Our corporate supporters include leading companies in the solar industry and our base of support is growing in other industries, especially with financial institutions and socially responsible companies and enterprises. Many of our major partnerships trace their origin to GRID’s robust donor employee engagement program, where companies sponsor a solar installation and their employees participate in a “barnraising” style day of service, working alongside GRID staff and clients.
This is an exciting time for GRID and for the team to strengthen innovative solar programs and projects in a fast-pace, mission-based, values-driven organization.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Spearhead high-level corporate fundraising efforts, including identifying and approaching top prospects, and cultivating new and existing corporate donors for increasing fundraising outcomes
- Solicit cash gifts/grants and in-kind support from a variety of corporations ranging in size from $250,000 to multi-million-dollar partnerships
- Spearhead the National Equipment Partnerships Program organization-wide to maximize in-kind donation revenue from solar manufacturers
- Supervise a Corporate Partnerships Officer and a Corporate Partnerships Coordinator
- Collaborate with the Philanthropy Operations Manager on corporate partner account management
- Raise the profile and awareness of GRID Alternatives and its vision
- Passionate about clean energy, environmental and social justice work
- Proven success with direct gift solicitation (5-7 figure gifts), grant writing, and fundraising events
- 5+ years corporate development and/or non-profit fundraising experience, preferably including managerial experience; professional experience and demonstrated success in other fields or sectors is applicable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of renewable energy and environmental issues is a plus, as is experience using Salesforce
- Solid organizational and project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
Any Director/Manager at GRID Alternatives must be able to advance the organization's equity, inclusion, and diversity work and understand that this can only be achieved within a framework of social, economic, and environmental justice.
This position requires some travel to sites throughout the office territory and occasional out-of-town travel such as organization-wide yearly staff summit regularly held in California. GRID Alternatives may provide vehicles for work travel and/or travel reimbursement for personal vehicle use, but applicant must hold a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary commensurate with experience.
Medical, dental, vision/eye care insurance, 5 weeks paid time off, up to 10 paid holidays, Commuter Checks, 403B retirement plan, employee assistance program (EAP), flexible spending account (FSA), health savings account (HSA), short-term and long-term disability (STD & LTD), and yearly professional development funds to further education up to $600. GRID prioritizes a healthy work-life balance for all staff.
Submit both a resume and a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. Due to the high volume of inquiries, please do not call or email us.
GRID Alternatives provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Women, re-entry individuals and people of color are urged to apply.