You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
In 2020, Arabella is opening a new office in downtown Durham that will include both current members of the Arabella team and new hires. This position will be located in that office.
Design, maintain and direct systems and strategies associated with governmental reporting as they relate to payroll, personnel and mandatory benefits for client organizations across all 50 states. Includes developing protocols, disciplines and tools for remaining ahead of state deadlines, tracking all federal, state and local registrations, performing mandatory reporting, and administering state-mandated benefits, taxes and fees. Activities include:
- Lead task forces to resolve urgent and important governmental notices, identifying systemic root causes for penalties, recommending and leading implementation of process improvements, solutions and patches, as appropriate.
- Coordinate and otherwise be the central human resources point of contact across finance/accounting, treasury, benefits, compliance, legal and client services teams to develop related communications protocols.
- As needed, lead or participate in ad hoc external information requests related to taxes, personnel, payroll, benefits (excluding retirement), and insurance, including government audits, funder audits, and insurance/benefits-related audits.
Oversee payroll function, including: managing the payroll team; providing final approval for each payroll; directing system-level, inter-team and process-related improvements; providing strategic oversight and accountability for payroll-related vendors; providing ultimate accountability for payroll-related legal compliance (overtime eligibility, worker classification, mandatory government entitlement programs, etc.). Activities include:
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of personnel-related federal, state and local taxes, as well as ensuring properly maintained mandatory benefits (e.g. workers compensation, state PFML, disability programs, etc.).
- Develop protocols for and lead processes associated with new state setups, maintenance and exits. Proactively innovate, diagnose issues and implement improvements.
- Maintain cohesive HR systems to streamline and improve the accuracy, utility and the timely flow of personnel-related data across platforms (HRIS, benefits management, accounting software, financial reporting outputs, client budget development, financial analysis tools, etc.)
- Lead worker classification systems to ensure balance of strict legal compliance with excellent client service. Includes reviewing high volume of statements of work for appropriate worker classification, providing guidance to internal and external teams, balancing compliance with sensitive client situations and objectives
Leadership of the human resources function, including:
- Partner with the HR senior director in developing and supporting HR’s objectives, outputs, and standards. Lead new planned and reactionary strategic initiatives as needed.
- Lead and ideate resource development for managed organization clients and internal account teams to develop the knowledge and skills needed to effectively navigate compliance
- Coordinate with internal client services team to merge HR compliance strategies with annual and ad hoc schedule for client engagement communication strategies
- Maintain working knowledge of current and upcoming HR legislation
To be successful in this role you'll need:
- Related Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience with demonstrable involvement with strategic initiatives, scaling systems, staff management, and engagement with executives.
- Strategic-minded with demonstrated leadership and problem-solving skills in a complex cross-departmental environment, including problem identification, solution development and solution implementation.
- Strong teamwork and relationship building skills with a collaborative approach to working with others at all levels of seniority
- Demonstrated experience with designing new systems, change management and engagement strategies for multi-layered and complex stakeholders
- Proficiency in backbone areas of organizational infrastructure, including human resources, finance and accounting and legal compliance
- Project management experience, including managing complex timelines and tracking systems, and managing and keeping informed stakeholders at every level with varied interests and needs.
- Exposure to worker classification issues (including employer vs. contractors and overtime eligibility)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict compliance while balancing business need and maintain focus on strategic priorities and discretion in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Ability to establish a trusted partner relationship with executives
- Exposure to client services environment preferred
- Superior judgement, able to quickly analyze a new landscape and its implications, understanding when to be resourceful and when to escalate
- Experience with payroll, benefits and associated compliance frameworks preferred. Exposure to Salesforce, Concur, Great Plains and/or UltiPro a plus.
- Experience leading data management and managing the dynamics of data exchange in the space between technological and/or functional platforms preferred
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to effectively manage resources, create and implement enhancements across the firm to efficiently achieve service standards, and to coach junior teammates on how to address complex service challenges
- The ability to oversee and advise on multiple complex projects, including encouraging workflow and work plan innovations, and ensuring deliverables are high-quality and meet clients’ needs
- The ability to coach colleagues in how to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and to handle high-level stakeholder challenges
- The ability to effectively communicate difficult messages, to represent the firm to external audiences, and to mentor colleagues in how to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences
- The ability help teams overcome collaboration challenges and promote compromise, inclusion, and openness; promote and lead activities that support an open, safe, and inclusive organization; understand the context in which we work and build critical cross-team connections; and share useful knowledge firm wide
- The ability to regularly integrate learnings to improve team operations, to lead learning opportunities that enhance team performance, and to be a mentor to others
- The ability to empower teammates to solve problems and provide guidance only when necessary; to solve complex challenges without clear owners or solutions by identifying innovative approaches; and to facilitating coordination with others and to coach colleagues in thinking through solutions
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella's Managed Nonprofit Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health, and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with