The mission of Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles (Levitt LA) is to make live music accessible to all, creating stronger and more connected communities while celebrating the diversity of our city and beyond. Every summer, 50 FREE concerts are presented at the Levitt Pavilion in MacArthur Park, featuring acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning performers in a broad range of music genres and cultural programming. Since 2007, over 600,000 Angelenos have enjoyed the high-caliber entertainment at Levitt LA, bringing people of all ages and backgrounds together through the power of free, live music in a vibrant community gathering space. Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles is part of a national network of permanent outdoor Levitt music venues, each with the mission of building community through music. Learn more at levittlosangeles.org
Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles (Levitt LA) is seeking an experienced, high-performing Director of Community Relations & Partnerships for the Levitt Pavilion in MacArthur Park. This position plays a lead role in Levitt LA’s efforts to build strategic partnerships for the Levitt Los Angeles program resulting in a robust community partners program, audience development, immersive cultural programming and overall community engagement. The Director of Community Relations & Partnerships is Levitt LA’s key community liaison, interfacing regularly with community organizations, neighborhood associations, schools, government offices and agencies, and other local entities to create awareness of the summer concert series, develop active partnerships, and garner support for the concerts. This position is responsible for Levitt LA’s volunteer program, including recruitment and management, leading up to and throughout the summer concert series. This position also takes an active role in fundraising for Levitt LA, including cultivating and stewarding individual donors, identifying and writing grants, and soliciting and securing sponsorships.
Successful candidates will be bilingual (Spanish and English), self-motivated, and have the ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment. Ideal candidates will also have the ability to successfully plan and manage projects independently and work collaboratively as a team—this position works closely with Levitt LA team members, as well as the Levitt Foundation’s Operations and Communications Departments in producing and promoting the summer concert series. The Director of Community Relations & Partnerships attends relevant community meetings and events. This position is responsible for various aspects of on-site management of the Levitt LA lawn area throughout the concert series and is expected to attend every concert of the series, Thursday through Sunday evenings, June 1 through September 1. This position manages the Levitt LA Community Outreach Coordinator.
The Director of Community Relations & Partnerships position is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about the power of the arts to activate public spaces and build stronger, more interconnected, and healthier communities. Levitt LA offers a dynamic and collaborative work environment, with opportunities for professional development.
- Create and implement a community relations and outreach plan, particularly in the diverse neighborhoods of the MacArthur Park-Westlake area; identify opportunities for collaboration and engagement
- Play the lead role in developing audiences that represent the diversity of Los Angeles through community relations and outreach efforts, specifically the MacArthur Park-Westlake area; actively engage local residents to participate in Levitt LA concerts and activities
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with community entities including government offices and agencies, local businesses, schools, and area organizations such as nonprofits representing a range of services and programs, faith-based communities, consulate offices, neighborhood councils, etc.
- Manage and expand a robust community partners program with activation on-site at the Levitt Pavilion throughout the concert series
- Pursue strategic engagement with key elected officials (city, county, state, and federal representatives for programs and services), resulting in robust partnerships and support of Levitt LA’s summer concert series and activities
- Identify prospective individual donors and develop strategies to cultivate relationships and secure donations; develop and implement successful donor relations strategies
- Identify, solicit and secure sponsorships from local businesses and agencies, as well as corporations; ensure the successful delivery of sponsor benefits; solicit in-kind donations
- Identify grant opportunities and write proposals; manage grant awards by ensuring deliverables are met and reporting is complete
- Develop and maintain systems of prospect management and research
- Develop and execute a comprehensive volunteer recruitment strategy to ensure sufficient support and dedicated volunteers for all summer concerts; serve as the primary spokesperson for the volunteer program by clearly articulating to external audiences Levitt LA’s mission and volunteer opportunities
- Develop and implement strategies to successfully manage and sustain concert series volunteers; conduct training and thorough onboarding process leading up to and throughout summer concert series; provide volunteers with ongoing support to ensure retention; facilitate volunteer recognition and appreciation
- Attend relevant community meetings and events; articulate and represent the Levitt mission at community events, meetings, and do presentations as needed
- Manage Community Advisory Council comprised of key community stakeholders and representatives of community organizations to support community involvement and help provide direction for programming and activities of Levitt LA
- In collaboration with Levitt LA team members, manage on-site lawn activation throughout the concert series, including but not limited to Kidzone arts & crafts area, pre-concert activities, community partners, sponsors and food & beverage vendors
- Collaborate with the Communications Department in developing Levitt LA social media content to ensure relevancy with local community, as well as increase audience engagement and program visibility; assist with public relations efforts through Spanish-language media outlets
- Collaborate with the Communications Department in the production, design and content of concert series promotion, both print materials and online, as pertaining to community partners and sponsors
- Strategize, implement and manage grassroots outreach and marketing efforts throughout the Westlake District and surrounding communities, including distribution of promotional materials
- Develop and maintain related fiscal, personnel, program and volunteer records and reports
- Develop and maintain collaborative, productive and respectful relationships with Community Advisory Council members, volunteers, donors, sponsors, prospects, philanthropic communities and other related constituent groups
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bilingual Spanish and English, required
- 4 – 5 years of direct experience in community relations and grassroots neighborhood outreach
- Proven track record in developing successful and effective community partnerships Proven track record in soliciting and securing donations and sponsorships
- Self-motivated with high degree of initiative
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to commit to being on-site at the concerts throughout the series, Thursday through Sunday evenings from beginning June through beginning September, including pre-concert set- up and post-concert breakdown
- Strong leadership qualities with ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining high attention to detail
- Strategic thinker with strong problem-solving skills and ability to anticipate partner needs and address challenges effectively
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with ability to adapt in a variety of settings
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple, often competing, priorities and pace workload to meet project benchmarks and deadlines
- Excellent ability to work and communicate effectively, professionally, and considerately in diverse environments and within diverse communities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish; ability to translate between both languages orally and in writing
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Passion and support for the Levitt mission of building community through music
- Familiarity with the histories and cultures of LA’s diverse communities; knowledge of the communities in the MacArthur Park-Westlake area and surrounding neighborhoods, a plus
- IT competent; familiarity with Microsoft Office products and Mac operating system Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Must have valid CA driver’s license, insurance, and automobile to use during working hours; mileage and parking will be reimbursed by Levitt Foundation on a monthly basis
The Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation is a national private foundation that exists to strengthen the social fabric of America. We empower communities to transform neglected outdoor spaces into welcoming destinations where the power of free, live music brings people together and invigorates community life.
The Levitt Foundation currently oversees all aspects of the free summer concert series at Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles in MacArthur Park, including programming and production, marketing and promotion, community relations and outreach, fundraising and on-site operations. The Levitt Pavilion in MacArthur Park has proven to be an asset for the community by providing free access to the performing arts. A public/private endeavor, the Levitt Pavilion continues to contribute to the positive transformation of MacArthur Park over the past decade.
In 2007, the MacArthur Park band shell, which was built in the 1950s and stood dilapidated and unused, was transformed into the Levitt Pavilion for the Performing Arts. Since its launch, hundreds of thousands of people have attended concerts on cool summer nights with spectacular downtown vistas, creating a vibrant energy and welcoming community gathering space.
The Levitt Foundation realizes its mission of community through music through two key programs: permanent Levitt venues and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards, an annual grants competition. In 2019, more than 550 free Levitt concerts will be presented in 26 towns and cities across America, serving more than 750,000 people.
Permanent Levitt venues are located in cities as diverse as Los Angeles; Denver; Westport, Conn.; Dayton, Ohio; Bethlehem, Pa.; Memphis; Arlington, Texas; and Sioux Falls, S.D., opening this summer. With the exception of Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles, each permanent Levitt venue is programmed, managed and supported by its own 501(c)(3) Friends of Levitt nonprofit organization, presenting 50 free concerts every year. Due to accelerating interest from cities and engaged citizens, the Levitt network is growing. Developing Levitt locations across the country include Fort Lauderdale and San Jose, amongst other cities.
This year, 18 small to mid-sized towns and cities will present free Levitt concerts through the Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series. 2019 locations include Chattanooga; Sheboygan, Wis.; Utica, N.Y.; Carson City, Nev.; and Middlesboro, Ky., to name a few. Each Levitt AMP winner will present 10 free concerts in a reimagined public space beginning this spring and continuing through the fall.
All Levitt concerts feature acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning artists in a broad range of music genres. Levitt’s family-friendly vibe and open green spaces attract people of all ages and backgrounds. Friends, neighbors, as well as those whose paths might not cross otherwise, gather to relax on the lawn or dance to the music. As an example of the high caliber talent presented across the Levitt network, the 2019 GRAMMY nominees included 17 artists who have performed on Levitt stages in recent years.
Please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com, including “Director of Community Relations & Partnerships” in subject line.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including health insurance and 401k. EEO/AAW employer.