At the Horizon Foundation, we are leading community change so that everyone in Howard County can live a longer, better life. As the largest independent health philanthropy in Maryland, we run innovative initiatives, collaborative partnerships, strategic grantmaking and thoughtful advocacy campaigns -- all geared toward improving health and wellness in our community.
When you join the Horizon Foundation, you are joining a team that is committed to addressing serious health challenges in Howard County. Since 1998, the Foundation has invested more than $55 million in over 300 community programs. Our track record shows that we are making progress. For example, we have improved school lunches, made biking and walking more accessible, expanded access to mental health care and helped our residents plan for end-of-life care. We recently held a year-long racial equity learning collaborative with five grantee organizations and hosted a racial equity summit with 600 community members attending. And, we led a community-wide initiative to change the norms around sugary drinks that resulted in a 20 percent drop in soda sales.
We are seeking a creative and dynamic Director of Communications who wants to put public health front and center, spark social movements and win hearts and change minds. The Director of Communications will develop and implement communications strategies aimed to amplify and uplift our strategic priorities. The Director will be a key member of the senior executive team, report to the CEO and manage direct reports and external firms. We seek an innovative Director who has deep experience in strategic communications, has a record of success and has a proven ability to elevate the profile of an organization.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and manage communications strategy for the organization; be the guardian of the Horizon Foundation’s brand.
- Elevate the Foundation’s positioning and amplify its brand through the development and execution of communications strategy and messaging that promotes the Foundation as a go-to-resource for public health innovation in Howard County and in Maryland.
- Manage, enhance and cultivate relationships with policymakers and elected officials, grantees, health organizations, local and national foundations and key community influencers.
- Help shape and execute a public policy communications and advocacy strategy at the local and state levels.
- Develop a social marketing and media strategy to promote the Foundation’s programs, advocacy agenda and brand in coordination with program staff and outside firms.
- Develop and maintain relationships with state and local media outlets. Prepare key spokespeople for media engagement.
- Oversee and maintain integrated communications and marketing products including digital and print materials, social media channels, newsletters, website, reports, press releases, advertising and collateral material to maximize impact.
- Expand our communications strategies to promote racial equity and effectively engage communities of color.
- Provide writing and editorial support and communications expertise throughout the organization.
- Serve on the senior executive team, supporting the development and execution of Foundation-wide work.
- Partner with regional and national organizations to amplify communications efforts.
- Actively contribute to the Foundation’s focus on racial equity by acting as a thought partner and designing communications strategies that further the Foundation’s racial equity goals.
- Develop and track metrics to assess effectiveness and impact of communications initiatives and report on success.
- Manage the communications budget and allocation of resources to meet communications goals.
- Develop and maintain contracts with outside firms.
- Manage, coach and grow communications staff.
- Support the Board of Trustees.
- Recruit national speakers and help convene the Foundation’s annual meeting of grantees and partners.
- Embody our culture of innovation, social entrepreneurship and social movement building.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 10 years of experience in communications for social change (preferably with some experience in philanthropy) with a demonstrated record of success.
- Preferably a master’s degree in communications or related field.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing comprehensive strategic communications, including media relations, marketing and advocacy campaigns that promote an organization’s missions and goals.
- Experience working with broadcast, print and digital media outlets and reporters.
- Expertise in overseeing and managing websites, social media and other digital assets and in producing marketing materials, newsletters, press releases and other print material.
- Exceptional writing, reporting and editing skills.
- High energy, maturity and leadership with the ability to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Proven ability to influence and engage leaders, trustees, peers and direct reports.
- Proven policy engagement in advocacy efforts at the local and state levels.
- Proven ability to thrive in a face-paced environment with the ability to make decisions and anticipate future needs in a changing environment.
- Excellent judgement and creative problem solving skills, with the ability to develop new solutions and approaches to difficult problems.
- Exceptional oral, interpersonal and presentation skills with an ability to inform, influence and persuade.
- Fluency in communications platforms for managing websites, social media, email marketing and CRM, such as WordPress, Mailchimp, Buffer and Every Action. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud programs and graphic design skills a plus.
- A track record of being innovative and translating strategic thinking into action and results.
- Passion for improving public health and wellness and embracing racial equity.
Salary is commensurate with experience and the overall compensation package includes a comprehensive set of benefits. The Communications Director can expect to earn at least $105,000.
Please send resumes or inquiries to [email protected]. No phone calls, please. The Horizon Foundation, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and strongly encourages people of color to apply.