The Funders' Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities
Coral Gables, FL
Director of Communications Job Announcement and Description
July 27, 2016 The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities (TFN) is recruiting candidates for the newly created position of Director of Communications. The Director will craft communications strategy and have an editorial vision for the organization, and will serve as a member of TFN’s senior leadership team. TFN Vision:TFN will be the leading resource in philanthropy for interdisciplinary and transformative thinking and action that gives all people the opportunity to live in more environmentally sustainable, socially equitable, and economically prosperous regions and communities. TFN Mission:To inspire, strengthen, and expand funding and philanthropic leadership that yield environmentally sustainable, socially equitable, and economically prosperous regions and communities. About TFN:Members of TFN include private, family, corporate, and community foundations and intermediaries. The Network is supported by contributions from its more than 175 member organizations.Members are at the core of the Network, while the TFN staff maintains contacts with key nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and private sector groups. TFN’s main office is located in Coral Gables, Fla. (Miami-Dade County). TFN field staff and contractors live and work in regions across the United States. This position will be based in the Coral Gables office (strongly preferred). Job Summary:The Director of Communications will work closely with members of the TFN staff to develop communications strategy for the organization and lead its execution on a daily basis. The Director will be an editorial leader with strong writing and editing skills who will shape and oversee the production of content and reports that help TFN and its members more effectively promote sustainable and equitable communities. The Director also should be fluent in digital outreach, with a track record of increasing communications impact using online tools and strategies. Job Description: The Director of Communications will lead communications strategy and execution. Job duties will include the following responsibilities:
- Working across the organization to educate and engage staff in effective use of strategic communications.
- Working closely with TFN staff to assess communication goals and needs, and crafting strategies to meet them.
- Designing outreach campaigns for project initiatives, identifying goals, audiences, channels, and messaging.
- Providing clear, actionable reports on these campaigns.
- Creating a marketing plan and materials for membership services that helps TFN recruit and retain members.
- Advocating for clear and compelling, insight-driven content across platforms.
- Overseeing and innovating the production and publishing of content (including e-mail marketing, newsletters, blog, and social media) and ensuring it has a high standard of clarity and accessibility.
- Overseeing TFN’s social media presence and strategy and assisting the CEO and staff team with the appropriate use of social media.
- Maintaining an editorial production schedule and overseeing the production of posts by staff, member, and contracted writers.
- Developing the TFN blog into a valued source for insights into grantmaking.
- Developing relationships with members and their communications staff that result in guest posts on the blog and other partnerships for outreach.
- Creating a TFN brand and style guide and ensuring all communications adhere to brand standards.
- Advising member organizations on communications strategy.
- Managing and improving TFN’s website.
- Helping to recruit and supervise the new position of Communications Associate.
- Staffing and supporting the volunteer Communications Task Force, composed of representatives from TFN member organizations and the board of directors.
- Representing the organization at events and working to enhance coordination and collaboration with other organizations to maximize mutual benefit from these relationships.
- Related responsibilities and special projects as required.
- Reports to the President and CEO.
Skills/Qualifications: Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities that would allow someone to excel in the position. This may include:
- Undergraduate degree and relevant graduate school and/or work experience;
- Superior organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- The ability to think both abstractly and concretely, including comfort with ambiguity while still accomplishing meaningful results;
- The ability to condense complicated issues to content and platforms that can be understood and accessed by a variety of constituents;
- Demonstrated excellence in proof-reading and document production;
- Experience accomplishing goals within a timeframe and within budget, which may include managing consultants and vendors;
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook (familiarity and comfort with Adobe Creative Suite and Salesforce is a plus);
- Familiarity with Expression Engine or other website platforms is a plus;
- Flexible and collegial disposition and ability to work effectively with people with a range of backgrounds, experiences and cultures;
- Experience in professional office environments (familiarity with philanthropic and nonprofit sector preferred);
- Ability to travel;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and high energy level; and
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities with good humor.
Excellent benefits, including health insurance, life insurance, 401(k) matching contributions, vacation, sick leave, and generous holiday schedules. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please e-mail application materials to Ashley Quintana at [email protected] The subject line should read: Director of Communications. Please attach the following application materials to your e-mail:
A cover letter that explains: 1) how your skills and experiences are a fit for the duties and qualifications of the position; and 2) why you are motivated to work for the Funders’ Network.
Application deadline is August 31, 2016. The position will be open until filled.
The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities is an equal opportunity employer and seeks applicants who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.