Established in 1923, Connecticut Community Foundation was created by and for the people of Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills. While serving this 21-town region, the Foundation provides leadership in addressing the community's critical issues, strengthens local nonprofit organizations through grants and technical assistance programs, and works with individuals, families, nonprofit organizations and corporations to administer more than 500 charitable funds.
Connecticut Community Foundation is looking for a creative, resourceful, analytical and strategic communicator to plan, develop and implement all marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities for the Foundation. The director of communications relates the Foundation’s value to the community in compelling ways across many channels and to many audiences, sharing the stories of people and organizations working to improve lives and foster thriving communities throughout our region.
As director of communications, you will develop and implement an integrative communications strategy that positions Connecticut Community Foundation as a philanthropic and grantmaking leader in the Greater Waterbury and Litchfield Hills region, and increases the visibility of the Foundation to diverse audiences. You will plan and execute the Foundation’s external communications to advance the Foundation’s organizational goals and further the efforts of its grantees and donors.
The director of communications will play a key strategic role in developing and executing the brand strategy and organizational messaging for the Foundation’s new strategic plan and 100th anniversary campaign, coordinating with staff, board and vendors.
What You Will Do:
As Director of Communications, you will report to the President and CEO and be a member of the management team. You will also work closely with personnel across all departments to convey the broad range of the Foundation’s work. Specifically, you will be responsible for the following:
- Crafting and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy in coordination with Foundation staff.
- Managing the Foundation’s website, social media accounts and broadcast email system, regularly creating compelling and accurate content and building the Foundation’s online community with a consistent voice.
- In collaboration with staff, draft and produce content for all print and electronic publications and materials, including annual report, newsletters, press releases, social media, annual appeals, videos, advertisements and invitations.
- Procuring and coordinating the work of vendors (such as graphic designer, photographer, web developers, freelance writer, printer) to manage major projects through completion.
- Conducting regular public relations outreach, including building relationships with the media, keeping abreast of philanthropic news trends, pitching story ideas, drafting and sending press releases, acting as point person for all media contact and monitoring media coverage.
- In coordination with Foundation staff, developing updated communications collateral, including brochures, website, social media posts and advertisements that serve development, programmatic, and brand purposes.
- In coordination with staff, creating and executing an integrated communications marketing campaign for Give Local Greater Waterbury and Litchfield Hills, the Foundation’s annual 36-hour online giving event, and conducting all media outreach for the event.
- Ensuring that the Foundation staff and board are familiar with key messages and branding and style guidelines, and are communicating them consistently and accurately.
- Providing communications support for the Foundation’s events, including development of print and/or electronic invitations and coordinating photo shoots or radio broadcasts.
- Maintaining a communications calendar to anticipate and meeting deadlines for communications collateral.
- Tracking and reporting on communications metrics to regularly assess and report about the effectiveness of communications strategies.
- Collaborating with Foundation staff to identify opportunities to communicate with the public about the Foundation’s initiatives, grants, services, and other activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for a team player with:
- A commitment to the community;
- A passion for telling stories;
- A willingness to learn new skills;
- An eagerness to stay abreast of development and trends in professional communications;
- A preference for working collaboratively to achieve shared goals and enhance programs and services;
- A belief in the value that diversity, equity and inclusion brings to the workplace;
- A positive and flexible attitude; and
- A commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.
The Experience We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree or higher or equivalent experience in public relations, communications, or marketing, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Minimum of five years of experience in managing the development and implementation of strategic marketing and communications plans
- Passion for the mission of Connecticut Community Foundation
- Strong project management experience
- Ability to self-manage and work independently, but also collaboratively
The Knowledge and Skills You’ll Need
- Excellent writing and editing skills, particularly for storytelling
- Demonstrated ability to implement public relations strategies
- Substantial experience with social media, email marketing and content marketing strategies
- Proficiency in WordPress and broadcast email systems
- Basic photo editing and graphic design strongly preferred
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Grants a plus
- Capacity to integrate communications efforts with other technologies and platforms
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment while maintaining close attention to detail
- Donor communications experience and knowledge of community philanthropy and local nonprofit organizations a plus
- Demonstrated qualities of integrity and discretion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, open and collaborative environment and
- A love of Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills and a strong desire to help build rewarding lives and thriving communities throughout our 21-town region.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Openness to a flexible schedule
- A team-oriented work environment
- Opportunities to build skills, make creative contributions and develop professionally.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to Barbara Ryer, director of finance and administration, at [email protected].