The Director, Jobs and Economic Development drives development, implementation and evaluation of the Foundation’s jobs & economic development strategies to support strong and vibrant local economic development that fosters innovation, entrepreneurship and business growth, and increases access to high quality jobs — with a particular focus on women and minorities.
Leads and oversees the development, implementation and evaluation of strategies and investments in the Foundation’s jobs & economic development program area with a goal to:
- Accelerates innovation in low-income areas, and the creation and growth of new enterprises, especially in neighborhoods along the Fairmount-Indigo Commuter Line;
- Strategically invests in the creation of a supportive environment/eco-system which can ensure the success of participating women and minorities.
- Improves the quality of transitions and coordination amongst the adult basic education, post-secondary education and workforce development sub-systems;
- Expands the capacity and effectiveness of high-performing employment programs;
- Supports reform efforts of the Massachusetts community college system ensuring post-secondary certificate and degree programs prepare students for careers in high demand occupations;
- Executes all functions pertaining to the role of strategy leader, including strategy development, grant making, evaluation & assessment, board reporting and initiative management;
- Forges partnerships and collaborations to generate, oversee and leverage investment opportunities for the Foundation’s grant making and community change efforts;
- Utilizes research, knowledge and stakeholder relationships to improve outcomes for people and place, influence systems change, and advance relevant public policies;
- Utilizes strategic written and oral communications to advance the Foundation’s goals, participates in and presents at local and national forums, and convenings of key stakeholders;
- Participates in grant proposal review and recommendation process in collaboration with Foundation colleagues;
- Supervises other staff and consultants associated with the Initiatives and grantmaking; and
- Complies with administrative requirements of the Foundation and participate in other TBF activities as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- College degree with 10-12 years of relevant work experience required; Master’s degree preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Deep understanding of urban economic development and the issues affecting low-income urban residents;
- Skills include strategy development and implementation, financial analyses and budgeting, and impact assessment/evaluation. Grantmaking and public policy experience is a plus;
- Exceptional interpersonal, writing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to serve as an external voice for the work of the Boston Foundation;
- Excellent analytical skills, written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated leadership and proven ability to lead a complex, cross-sector, multi-dimensional, results-oriented agenda;
- Demonstrated success managing teams, including the supervision and evaluation of staff and consultants;
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines in a demanding environment.
- Understanding of and commitment to the Foundation’s mission;
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- A participative work style and the ability to give and receive feedback;
- Resourceful, a self-starter and able to work independently; and
- Mature interpersonal style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally
Go to https://www.tbf.org/who-we-are/careers and select Director, Jobs & Economic Development to complete our online application process.