At DentaQuest, we believe that everyone should live life free of dental disease. As a purpose-driven, double bottom line company that is improving oral health for everyone, we are transforming the oral health system – from the way we provide care and pay for it, to how we talk about it and prioritize it in our policies and communities.
Meaningful change requires a revolution in oral health. We are redefining what it means to prevent disease and provide better access to care for everyone. We are going beyond the dental chair to reshape the oral health system, addressing total health and the social and cultural factors that impact it.
To make this revolution a reality, we harness our unique reach and insights to advance policy, financing, care, and the community. That means solving problems in a flexible and efficient way, testing and trialing to create new solutions and delivering measurable outcomes for the people we serve.
The people of DentaQuest have a common purpose, and we work together with passion, perseverance and focus to achieve a nation where no child suffers from the pain of tooth decay. Where adults keep all their teeth for their entire lives. Where every person has access to quality dental care.
The Director of Government Relations is responsible for the development and execution of effective and creative government relations strategies in a specified geographic region.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Develop state specific strategies and execute lobbying efforts to introduce and influence the passage of legislation, regulation and policy proposals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with and act as liaison to Executive Branch officials, gubernatorial appointee level officials and state legislators in the Midwest Region.
- In partnership with sales, business development, and client and provider services functions, drive new business through the development and execution of comprehensive market conditioning strategies and lead efforts related to covered officials or other government relations stakeholders
- Evaluate and advocate for specific program financing models at the state level.
- Understand regulatory environment in existing business and emerging markets to identify trends and engage regulatory bodies to protect the business. With a focus on health insurance regulations and regulators in Midwest Region
- Analyze legislation, regulations and sub-regulatory guidance to determine operational and financial impact by consulting with internal business units and by applying broad knowledge of the health insurance and health care industries, including existing laws, regulations and contractual obligations.
- Identify, contract, educate, directly supervise and evaluate network of contract lobbyists within region.
- Work cross-functionally with policy advisors, DentaQuest Partnership for Oral Health Advancement, and other consultants to ensure consistent policy messaging and advocacy and, as necessary, develop state specific advocacy materials.
- Represent organization at major trade and government conferences.
- Know, adhere to, and educate other internal stakeholders on state lobbying and ethics rules.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- BA/BS degree (preferably in political science or communications).
- 7+ years minimum experience in lobbying and/or relevant experience
- Experience with highly regulated industries.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations affecting commercial insurance and Medicaid
- Experience in corporate government relations or a state Executive Branch preferred.
- Experience in working collaboratively with legislative staff and/or governmental regulatory agencies.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, determine project urgency in a meaningful and practical way, use goals to guide actions and create detailed action plans, organize and schedule people and tasks.
- Ability to lead, direct and motivate consultant teams effectively.
- Ability to prioritize work and operate under tight deadlines.
- Attends additional training as requested/deemed necessary
- Master’s degree preferred
- Multi state lobbying and business development experience preferred.
- Up to 80% travel may be required.
- Incumbent must be able to communicate effectively.
- Requires overall light physical effort (up to 25lbs.)
- Manual dexterity and sitting is required in carrying out position own position responsibilities (i.e. use of personal compute).
- Incumbent works primarily in either a private or shared office environment.