Department: Communications Department (McCormick Foundation)
Reports to: Communications Associate
Duration: June - August 2019
About the Communications Department
The Foundation’s Communications team is responsible for the visual and written brand management of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation. We are the brand managers and the voice of all the grantmaking programs of the Foundation. We work within the digital design landscape, including various social media platforms, campaigns, photography, videography and editing to visually market the work of the grantmaking programs, and the grantee-partners of Chicago and the state of Illinois. Our team manages all visual content including graphic design, publishing, advertisement, signage management, brochures, video, photography and all marketing collateral. Additionally, we maintain social platforms for the McCormick Foundation, develop and cultivate relationships with our followers, and play a direct role in social media growth through the state of Illinois.
Opportunity: Digital Communications Intern
This internship is designed to introduce college seniors and recent graduates to the field of marketing, communications, and/or journalism. Interns will gain exposure in media relations, graphic design, development of internal and external communication strategies and much more. Upon leaving the McCormick Foundation, interns will foster a deeper understanding of the marketing and communications field and gain the experience of working in a professional office environment and cultural institution.
The McCormick Foundation is seeking a forward-thinking, creative, and nimble individual with excellent verbal and written communication skills to work in its Communications Department. This individual should have a deep understanding of the digital media landscape, including various social media platforms. The individual will be tasked with a variety of projects, including helping to grow the Foundation’s digital assets library (e.g. video, photos, etc.) and enhancing audience engagement on our social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. This is a full-time position (approx. 40 hours/week) from June through August 2019 that reports to the Communications Associate.
- Work with grant-making programs to help develop original content for the Foundation’s social media vehicles
- Help publish the Foundation’s internal e-newsletter, Kernels
- Attend events to capture content and multimedia for print and digital communications
- Monitor and track daily Foundation and grantee news for monthly electronic media report
- Help assess and refine the Foundation’s social media strategy, including:
- Create/curate content and foster communities on social network pages such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Monitor, track and analyze social media results for a monthly electronic media report to share with the Foundation’s Board, CEO and staff
- Research social media marketing trends and best practices
- Recent college graduate (within three months) or upperclassman at an accredited undergraduate degree program pursuing a degree in marketing, communications, English, or journalism
- Creative and innovative thinker with the ability to understand the role of social media in the nonprofit sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to create content in the appropriate voice for the organization
- Photography skills and ability to use DSLR technology
- Basic computer skills including use of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, and field/studio video and audio production techniques
- Efficient and effective multi-tasking and time management skills
- Detail-oriented, inquisitive, and thoughtful
- Team player, with the ability to work independently when needed
- Demonstrated passion for the Foundation’s values with commitment to deliver results measured against the Foundation’s mission
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and experience building relationships with multiple stakeholders by listening to new ideas, encouraging dialogue, and inspiring people to work towards common goals
- All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and drug screening
- Submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample online here.
Cantigny Park and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, individuals with disabilities, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital and housing status.