The Bloomingdale School of Music (BSM), a community music school on the Upper West Side, is seeking a Development Manager to lead all fundraising efforts at BSM, working closely with the Executive Director. With a full portfolio of foundation and government grants, as well as a growing individual donor program, this position will help develop and shape future growth with a particular focus on individuals and events. As the school grows to build deeper relationships with the community we serve, this will entail developing and implementing a growth strategy for the future, organizing outreach and cultivation efforts, and managing relationships with the organization's new and existing donors.
- Manage and lead the annual development calendar of proposals, reports, events, and communications in all areas of contributed revenue – Individuals, Foundations, Government, and Corporations.
- Process donations, prepare acknowledgment letters and other correspondence, and manage credits and acknowledgments
- Track all reporting and proposal deadlines and manage all correspondence.
- Maintain, organize, and update hardcopy and electronic database and donor files.
- Lead donor research, prospecting, and develop cultivation plans for individuals.
- Draft, edit, and manage copy for various solicitation letters to foundations, individual donors, and government representatives.
- Develop, write and submit foundation, corporation proposals and reports, sometimes working with grant writers.
- Manage year-end reporting process to major donors, foundations, and government entities.
- Assist with stewardship of Board and major donors (identifying and sending gifts, thank you notes, etc.), corporation solicitations and benefit fulfillment.
- Assist with Special Events by being staff point person for planning and confirming event details, drafting descriptions, managing RSVP lists, follow-ups, and thank you notes in conjunction with Event Manager.
- Provide staffing at concerts and/or weekend and evening events as required.
- Assist with special projects or other departmental responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
- 3-4 years Development Experience in non profit organization of similar or larger size.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, and collaborative instincts.
- Comfort working with diverse groups of people.
- Judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to set own deadlines and work independently, excellent organizational skills
- High degree of accuracy in data inputting
- Ability to organize and handle multiple deadline-driven tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills, and confidence with Microsoft Word, and Excel; basic understanding of databases (we use Filemaker Pro), experience with fundraising software a plus.
- Flexibility, creativity, innovative thinking, and community-focused sensibility.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as requested.
- Knowledge of or keen interest in and appreciation of music and music education.
- Work Schedule: M-F 9-5 or 10-6, with evening and weekends as needed.
- Compensation: Salary is based on experience. Includes health insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, and federal holidays.
- To apply or inquire: Please email BSM’s Executive Director, Erika Floreska, at [email protected]. Please attach cover letter including compensation expectations, along with resume. Relevant writing samples will also be reviewed. Please write “Manager, Development” in the subject line of your email.
- Timing: Letters and resumes will be reviewed starting July 1, 2018.
Bloomingdale School of Music is a nonprofit community music school located on Manhattan's Upper West Side and serving over 600 students weekly. The school has an extraordinary faculty, an innovative program, and a fifty year record of excellent teaching and concert presenting. More information may be found at the school's website www.bsmny.org. Bloomingdale is a certified member of the National Guild of Community Schools of the Arts and a founding member of the New York City Coalition of Community Schools of the Arts. The school is housed in a five-story brownstone at 323 West 108th Street, between Broadway and Riverside Drive. The facility has 14 teaching studios, a recital hall, and offices.
Bloomingdale School of Music EOE institution/employer and is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion. BSM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal access/equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Bloomingdale School of Music | 323 West 108th Street, New York, NY 10025 |212-663-6021 | www.bsmny.org