The Development Information Services Coordinator position oversees the timely and accurate processing of all outright gifts, multi-year commitments, and other forms of support (totaling approximately 5,000 transactions a year) to the Academy (excluding Membership); assists in production, generation and tracking of acknowledgements - focuses on personalization and customization to tailor communications to donors; and provides database support, including query building and record maintenance. This position handles fund reconciliation with Accounting and coordinates donor recognition opportunity tracking. This full-time position reports to the Director, Development Information Services and works closely with the Development Information Services Lead and Development Information Services Assistant.
The California Academy of Sciences welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to explore, explain, and sustain life. We place diversity, equity, and inclusion at the heart of our recruiting efforts and strive to build a culture centered on mutual respect, equal treatment, and the opportunity to succeed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees daily gift operations in Tessitura, ensures accuracy, provides quick turnaround on gift processing, and assists in tracking contributions for the Development department’s fundraising goals
- Batches, reviews and commits gifts in Tessitura with the cooperation of the Development Information Services Assistant; ensuring proper documentation is included with gift paperwork; coordinates with Accounting to deposit contributions into correct funds
- Reconciles revenue totals monthly with Accounting to be sure all contributed revenue is accurately tracked
- Develops advanced and efficient contribution tracking systems in cooperation with the Development Information Services Assistant for incoming gifts and acknowledgment letter review with Academy wide staff, manage editors and signers expectations to achieve three-day turnaround for sending letters
- Runs queries, reports, exports, imports, and data clean up tasks in Tessitura
- Updates biographical information in the database--including addresses, business information, associations, addressee and salutations--received through gift transmittal, direct mail response, checks, and other related sources
- Serves as an experienced resource to Academy departments for all questions pertaining to completing gift acceptance forms, gift processing procedures and donor recognition
- Maintains an inventory of naming opportunities and facilitate donor recognition updates with appropriate Academy staff
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Knowledge of database software, specifically Tessitura or Raiser’s Edge
- 1 year or more experience in a Development Department or Fundraising Office
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly developed attention to detail, as well as the ability to achieve deadlines
- Ability to work independently on projects as well as a collaborative team player
- Able to effectively problem-solve, prioritize and complete multiple tasks
- Possess good analytic and mathematical skills
- Good communication skills in order to respond via phone and email to donor inquiries
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and use good judgment
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
- Demonstrated experience in database and spreadsheet applications
- Excellent word processing, proofreading, and organizational skills
- Ability to compose error-free correspondence
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred but not necessary.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 75% of the time.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at https://calacademy.snaphire.com/?job=25332EPP Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For more information visit: https://sfgov.org/olse/fair-chance-ordinance-fco.
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.