The Funders’ Collaborative on Youth Organizing (FCYO) seeks a highly-organized development professional with strong writing skills, event coordination experience, financial management as well as a commitment to youth-led social justice to fill a new full-time Development & Events Manager (DEM) position. The DEM will manage FCYO’s fundraising operations, event planning and logistics coordination across programs and initiatives, and support our budgeting and financial management and funder organizing programming. The ideal candidate brings strong experience in foundation and individual donor fundraising, grant writing and reporting, event planning, budgeting and financial management, a strong analysis of social justice issues, experience with the youth organizing field, strong written and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work in a team and manage staff independently. The DEM will work closely with FCYO’s Executive Director and other staff members, and may directly supervise staff and volunteers. FCYO staff work remotely, so applicants can be based anywhere in the US. Some travel is required. FCYO is a managed project of Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice and the DEM would be a full-time employee of Bend the Arc.
Start Date: July 1, 2019
Compensation: Starting salary will be $60,000 - $70,000 per year.
FCYO advances a strong and well resourced youth organizing field that is aligned around strategies for building power and supports young people to play leading roles in broad based alliances for a just and equitable society. We envision a society free from exploitation and oppression, in which communities support the full human development of all people based on principles of equity, democracy, and ecological stewardship. FCYO is driven to help the youth organizing field develop its leadership capacity for the powerful social movements required to actualize this vision. FCYO’s work is focused across the following goals:
- Increase the capacity of youth organizing groups to build meaningful power and cultivate the strategic leadership and holistic development of young people.
- Connect broad cross-sections of youth organizing groups to share tools and lessons, increase alignment, and sharpen strategies for building power.
- Align and expand sustainable resources for young people on the forefront of organizing and movement building
- Build knowledge among funders, organizers, and the general public about the impact of youth organizing on broader movement building and individual youth development
The DEM will manage FCYO’s rolling fundraising and reporting calendar, write 20-30 letters of inquiry, grant proposals and grant reports, coordinate with FCYO staff and fiscal sponsor to ensure timely submission of narrative, financial, and other supplemental materials, and will help manage the timely and accurate flow of financial information from FCYO’s fundraising operation to our organizational and multiple project budgets. The position will also support the development and execution of FCYO’s national fundraising strategy, supporting staff leadership and Board of Advisors members to engage and cultivate foundations funders across the country, and grow our $3 million plus budget. This may include developing and updating prospect lists, CRM systems, coordinating and participating in funder meetings and conferences and representing the organization in funder meetings and events. The position will also support an emerging individual donor fundraising program, supporting the Executive Director to develop strategy, outreach, cultivation and solicitation of major donations to support FCYO’s work.
The DEM will be the key staff person in charge of planning and implementing multiple in-person events held by FCYO each year, including our biennial national youth organizing convening, smaller grantee convenings, and funder briefings. This will include all aspects of event planning and logistics coordination from the 10,000 foot level down to the ground: from designing online registration systems to soliciting competitive bids from event spaces, consultants and vendors, to booking flights, hotels and catering, to troubleshooting audio visual challenges. The DEM will manage a program associate, consultants and sometimes volunteers.
The DEM will be a part of FCYO’s financial management team, and will collaborate with the Executive Director and the Financial Manager on high-level financial planning and forecasting, tracking program expenses, and producing financial reports for staff, funders and Board meetings. This will require managing and weaving together an overall budget of $3 million to $5 million, 20-30 funders and project budgets.
The DEM will support the FCYO Board of Advisors and leadership team as the organization expands how we engage, connect, educate and organize foundation and individual funders. This will involve supporting the development and management of a CRM system, field research, coordinating and participating in funder meetings and conferences and representing the organization in funder meetings and events.
In addition to the primary responsibilities above, the DEM will coordinate often with FCYO’s fiscal sponsor and operations staff to access and compile financial reports for fundraising, hire consultants and execute vendor contracts, as well as perform limited administrative tasks.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in social justice work with some experience with youth organizing and knowledge of the national youth organizing field.
- Development experience including coordination and writing of grant proposals and reports for an organization with a budget in the $2 million to $5 million range.
- Event logistics coordination experience
- Individual donor fundraising experience at the five and six-figure level prefered
- Financial management experience required, practical accounting experience preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and significant experience with software and systems including but not limited to Microsoft word and excel; google docs, sheets and forms; slack, and; salesforce. Experience managing staff, consultants, grantees, and strategic partners.
- Strong oral communication skills; comfortable presenting information at meetings and conferences, and representing FCYO in the broader community.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively and professionally with a diverse range of people.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects effectively.
- Outstanding creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Periodic national travel required
- Must be flexible to work some evenings and weekends around convenings and conferences
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter (saved as one PDF) with “DEM Application_Your Name” as the subject line to Will Buford, Director of Operations & Development, at [email protected] by May 24, 2019. No phone calls please.
More information about FCYO can be found at www.fcyo.org. FCYO is a project of and fiscally sponsored by Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice. FCYO values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.