For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests,
protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic
injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots
organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with
Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In
partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive
operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate
change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically
The Development Director is a leadership-team level position responsible for leading RAN’s
skilled fundraising team to raise an annual budget of about $8.0 million. RAN’s revenues are
comprised of donations from four primary sources: major donors, individual contributors
(including planned giving), foundations, and special events. We are looking for a seasoned
candidate with a creative and strategic development vision, including the ability to work
collaboratively to generate new and innovative ideas. This position is expected to leverage
RAN’s program achievements and media coverage into meaningful connections with potential
donors and funders as well as to create and drive RAN’s fundraising vision as we grow our work
of cutting edge environmental and human rights activism.
● Develop and execute a comprehensive strategic fundraising plan for the organization, in
partnership with Digital Director, which achieves RAN’s annual revenue projections and factors
in all revenue streams- individual donors, foundations, and special events.
● Collaborate with Executive, Leadership and Development teams, and the Board of Directors to
proactively and diligently identify, steward and solicit donations from individual and institutional
● Build systems and organizational culture to coach staff and Board on donor engagement across
multiple channels, leveraging donors to build power and impact.
● Oversee Development department’s budget in close collaboration with Institutional and
Individual Giving budget holders and in coordination with Digital Director, developing annual
revenue projections and tracking with a goal of long-term sustainable growth.
● Coordinate and support the Communications and Digital teams in developing and tailoring RAN
messaging for supporters and donors.
● Help grow revenue from potential and emerging opportunities e.g., Planned Giving, Donor
Advised Funds, mission-aligned institutional investors.
Organizational Leadership, Planning and Staff Management -
● Promote a culture of collaboration, transparency, feedback and continuous improvement that
values learning, accountability and a commitment to equity.
● Supervise Foundations Director and Major Donors & Institutional Giving Manager.
● Oversee the Development department team of 8 staff members, organizing planning retreats,
overseeing performance evaluations, representing the team at the leadership level, and providing
status updates to staff and board.
● Represent the Development team at the Leadership and Board level.
● Represent RAN’s work and values effectively and compellingly to external audiences.
Required skills and experience:
● Demonstrated success in fundraising with individual and institutional donors, and in growing
long-term support for an organization.
● Progressively senior-level experience, strong leadership, organizational and management skills
that include coaching and inspiring staff and senior management on fundraising and donor
● Strategic and creative thinking: ability to set priorities, balance short-term and long-term
objectives, prioritizing long-term financial health of the organization.
● Strong analytical and data-driven approach to fundraising and experience overseeing vendor
relationships and contracts.
● Demonstrated leadership in the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that
encourages and celebrates differences with a strong commitment to creating a workplace culture
grounded in the values of racial equity, inclusion and justice.
● Strong communication skills that convey organization’s work in a compelling way and the ability
to adapt messaging for various audiences.
● Excellent judgment and emotional intelligence for long-term relationship building with staff,
senior management, board, and donors -- a natural collaborator.
● Strong ability to prioritize, manage projects, and work autonomously, as well as in teams.
● Experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an
intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are
seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us
to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal
employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing
accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color
to apply for this position.
This is a full-time position. Location is flexible with a preference for the Bay Area, California.
Target salary range is $110,000-$112,000 with the final offer being based on candidate’s overall
experience, qualifications, and geographic location. RAN offers excellent benefits, which include
full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer-funded HSA, vision
& dental insurance, pro-rated 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple
IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match after first 6 months. Additionally,
after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3-month fully-paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly with the link below:
Supervisor: Deputy Executive Director
Status: 5 day/wk, FT, with benefits
Location: Open; San Francisco preferred
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with