Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation's largest trails organization dedicated to connecting people and communities by creating a nationwide network of public trails, many from former rail lines and connecting corridors. Founded in 1986, RTC’s national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
This position is located in RTC’s national office in Washington, D.C. (West End/DuPont Circle area), and is easily accessible from Metro’s Red line (Farragut North) and Blue/Orange/Silver lines (Foggy Bottom).
This position will oversee data management related to RTC’s fundraising and membership programs. This includes managing the organization’s two primary databases as well as working with development staff, members and outside vendors to ensure data integrity and accuracy. The position will play a lead role in ensuring systems related to data entry, donor information, customer service and reporting are as effective and efficient as possible.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
Database Management and Reporting
- Management of membership constituent data in RTC’s two primary databases, Winfunds (Oracle-based) and Luminate Online (Blackbaud), and monitor daily data synchronization
- Conduct database queries and generate reports related to fundraising performance, major donor and donor-prospect mailings, direct mail, etc.
- Perform regular database hygiene and upkeep needs to ensure quality record-keeping and data accuracy (e.g., removing duplicate records, ensuring source/product codes are up to date, etc.)
- With the Senior Director of Development, work with RTC’s various fundraising vendors to optimize and improve data systems that improve accuracy/expediency related to: donation and direct-mail data entry; premium, e-commerce and acknowledgment-letter mailings; RTC’s mailing-list exchange program; Winfunds/Luminate Online performance
- Work with other RTC vendors as needed
- Process all donations received at national office, including database entry, as well the creation, uploading and verification of donation batches
- Manage RTC’s matching-gift program
- Conduct data entry and fulfillment for RTC’s gift-membership program
- As a part of the Customer Service Team, serve as a lead strategist to improve the member/donor/customer-service experience—in conjunction with the Customer Service Manager and Senior Director of Development. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Proactive, advanced planning of all fundraising-campaign data elements to ensure a positive customer experience
- Evaluating campaign outcomes and troubleshooting timely solutions to improve future efforts
- Researching and providing solutions to data-related inquiries
- Work with development staff to help identify database and systems enhancements associated with the membership, Trailblazer Society and major donor programs
- Other development department duties, as assigned
This position reports to the Senior Director for Development. The position will supervise outside vendors and contractors to ensure quality control and timely completion of projects.
Ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- B.S. or B.A. with at least two years of experience working directly with constituent databases
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, with an attention to detail
- Experience working with and overseeing vendors
- Strong computer skills, including a proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Experience working with SQL a plus.)
- Teamwork-based attitude and an ability to work collaboratively with a variety of individuals
- Understanding of membership or fundraising databases preferred
- Experience with Winfunds (Oracle database) and/or Luminate Online (Blackbaud) beneficial, but not required
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC’s business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
Please use one form of transmitting your résumé. No phone calls please, unless contacted for an in-person interview. Recruiters, please do not contact our offices.
Mail, fax or email cover letter, résumé and three professional references to:
Human Resources Manager
The Duke Ellington Building
2121 Ward Court, NW, 5th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20037
Email: [email protected]
Commitment to Diversity
RTC is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or national origin. Women and diverse applicants are encouraged to apply. EOE