Advancement Project National Office – a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization located in Washington, DC, is seeking a highly organized, detailed-oriented and a team player to join the Development Team as a Development Associate. This is a union position with compensation determined by union compensation structure. The position reports to the Managing Director for Development and Fundraising.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for assisting in and supporting the strategic fundraising efforts within the Organization. This position will work closely with other members of the development team to identify potential sources of donations and track the progress of fundraising campaigns.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the Raisers Edge database to ensure accurate donor records, handle weekly gift entry and acknowledgment process, and implement and manage data tracking and analysis systems to make our team more effective.
- Conduct prospect research on high-value current and prospective funders including foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Coordinate event logistics for donor cultivation events including scheduling, vendors, and contracts.
- Coordinate annual holiday card and year-end funder mailings, working with the Development Manager of Donor Relations to execute their strategy for year-end.
- Coordinate scheduling of funder/donor meetings and internal briefings
- Coordinate ongoing high dollar funder updates including pulling and organizing priority lists, drafting or editing emails as necessary, and coordinate on sending emails from multiple people.
- Manage our grants calendar including updating with new agreements, tracking in Raisers Edge, and work with the Senior Development Manager of Foundation & Corporate Relations on coordination needs for upcoming proposals and reports.
- Manage the Google Advertising grant for the organization to boost our profile among new potential supporters.
- Coordinate and create common materials for the team such as program one-pagers, thank you letters, financial documents, Board or staff lists, etc.
- Support the Senior Development Manager of Foundation & Corporate Relations on ongoing grant report submissions by managing portals, coordinating attachments (financials, board lists, etc.), and coordinate with other teams on needed materials.
- Perform development related functions in consultation with the finance team, including gift reconciliation.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
- Experience with donor research tools
- Advanced knowledge of Raisers Edge donor database and its data architecture/management tools is required.
- Demonstrate a high attention to detail and confidentiality when handling donor information.
- Maintain working knowledge of fundraising development best practices, including donor rights, code ethics, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Manage competing priorities, clearly communicate progress, and negotiate deadlines and priorities when necessary
- Demonstrate organizational, interpersonal, and follow-through skills necessary to successfully manage projects.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to advocate and communicate with authority.
- Manage a high volume of tasks; including organizing and prioritizing own work.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment.
- Make sound and timely informed decisions in complex situations.
- Work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Demonstrate initiative, including pro-actively identifying issues and making recommendations.
- Advanced working knowledge of social media platforms and software programs, such as Microsoft Office including, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, other constituent relationship management systems and other analytical systems, and database integration through several technology platforms, project management and web design software.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 1-3 years of development experience
- At least 1 year of experience with Raisers Edge database including experience with queries, reports, coding tables, and process for updating a large number of records
- Experience with donor research tools and approaches.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, clearly communicate progress, and negotiate deadlines and priorities when necessary
- Ability to work in a team environment, be flexible and hands on.
- Ability to be organized and manage both up and laterally to coordinate projects
- Detailed- oriented and thorough.
- Advanced knowledge of Word and related programs, most importantly Excel.
Who We are:
Advancement Project National Office is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, Advancement Project National Office exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies in conjunction with strong community alliances to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change.
Interested? Please visit www.advancementproject.org/careers to apply.
PLEASE UPLOAD TWO WRITING SAMPLES WITH YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER