Mary's Pence is a faith based feminist organization inspired by Catholic Social teachings. Believing we are each called to make the world a better place, we support women in the Americas through both social and economic development. Our commitment to justice motivates our work. We are grateful to walk alongside people of all faiths and beliefs on this journey toward justice.
Our annual budget is approximately $600,000. Approximately 80% of our funds come from individual donors, with less than 20% from grants. Supporters of Mary’s Pence are located across the country, and much of our communication is written – newsletters, emails and social media.
Mary’s Pence has a staff of 8, three full time and two part time people based in St. Paul, and three staff members in Latin America. The Development and Communications Manager works closely with the Executive Director, other staff, Board Members, and volunteers. To learn more about Mary’s Pence, visit our website, view our annual report, watch our Responsive Philanthropy Award video.
Role and Responsibilities
- Fund Development and Donor Relationships
- Manage donor solicitations and mailings, including acquisition mailings.
- Keep donors informed about the work through newsletters, emails and social media.
- Manage relationships with constituent groups including monthly donors, major donors, and women’s religious communities.
- Provide support to Executive Director and Board Members (research, solicitation training and scripts, meeting arrangements, etc.) to facilitate fundraising efforts.
- Support donors in involving their church or community groups in opportunities to give, host a speaker or participate in a program.
- Identify ways to involve donors in our work and reach new audiences.
- Outreach and Communications
- Manage donor mailings throughout calendar cycle.
- Create and support creation of written and visual materials, including direct mail, newsletters, web site content, emails, videos and other forms of public outreach. Ensure alignment with brand.
- Periodically plan and oversee donor events.
- Periodically table at conferences and events.
- Work with and direct volunteers working on small projects in the office.
- Lead social media efforts.
- Lead media relations efforts.
- Grant Writing
- Manage grant writing process including identifying grant sources, writing applications, tracking and reporting results and managing relationships.
- Donor Database Management
- Administer donor management system to maintain accurate and complete records with the assistance of the bookkeeper and office coordinator
- Use donor data to understand and improve impact of campaigns and development efforts.
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in a development role, managing donor relationships and writing grants.
- Ability to cultivate, research, solicit, and steward donors and prospects.
- Builds strong relationships with donors.
- Proven ability to identify grant sources and acquire grants to support our work. Knowledge of grant writing resources and tools.
- Experience in a non-profit setting, including working with volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, face to face interaction, and public speaking. Excellent writing skills are essential to the job.
- Computer proficiency, including desktop, and donor database tools (Donor Perfect). Experience with Constant Contact (email marketing platform) and Wordpress (website), and Google Suite helpful. Experience with QuickBooks is a plus.
- Bi-lingual in English / Spanish is a plus.
- Bachelors Degree or commensurate life experience.
Values and Work Style
- Creative and self motivated, enjoys bringing new ideas to the organization.
- Passion for social justice, particularly women’s issues in the U.S. Mexico and Central America.
- Ability to work with a team of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Highly organized, self-motivated and able to manage multiple and complex projects. Organized and diligent about record-keeping and administration while setting and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with Executive Director, office and program staff, Board Members, and volunteers.
- Flexible working style, willing to give and take, willing to flex to the tasks needed, including administrative tasks. Comfortable in a small “everyone pitches in” office environment.
Compensation and Benefits
Hours and Salary: Full time, salary based on experience.
Health Insurance and Retirement Benefits: Generous comprehensive package.
Vacation and Holidays: 17 holidays and 5 vacation days year one
Deadline: until filled
Location: 275 East 4th Street, #510, St. Paul, MN 55101
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Robyn Browning at email@example.com