Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Sue Desmond-Hellmann and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
The mission of the Global Policy & Advocacy (GPA) program is to understand and shape the public policy debates affecting the foundation's work, build support for its major program and policy objectives, and develop partnerships and alliances that can advance the foundation's policy objectives nationally and globally. Because the foundation's resources alone are not enough to solve the challenges ahead, GPA also supports advocacy efforts to engage diverse stakeholders and promote innovative solutions that advance our program goals. GPA is composed of our Regional Offices in India, China and Africa; our Donor Government Relations (DGR) teams, one for Europe and the Middle East, based in London, and another for the United States, Canada and Asia-Pacific region, based in Washington, DC; a Program Advocacy & Communications team; a Development Policy & Finance team; and our Philanthropic Partnerships team. We work in close partnership with grantees, our colleagues in the Global Health and Global Development Programs, the Executive office, and foundation Communications to build the environment in which all people have the opportunity to lead healthy and productive lives.
Team Summary: The mission of the Philanthropic Partnerships team is to inspire and enable informed and intentional generosity by all givers. Increasing both the magnitude and the effectiveness of giving will ultimately result in accelerated progress toward tackling the world's most pressing issues. We aim create a new norm for generosity that will resonate throughout the 21st Century.
Leadership and oversight of the Giving Partnerships team, The Giving Partnerships team works directly with Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett and other major philanthropists to encourage giving in the United States and Internationally. The Giving Partnerships team manages the Giving Pledge, an effort to engage with and encourage the world's wealthiest families and individuals to commit the majority of their wealth to philanthropy, and to create a new set of assumptions around wealth and giving that will come to be regarded as a norm.
• Leading and managing the operations of the Giving Partnerships team, including outreach to new partners, oversight of programing and content for existing partners and generating opportunities for effective collaboration amongst partners.
• Overseeing the Giving Partnerships strategy and its key components, and adjusting as needed to ensure goals are met.
• Advising the co-chairs on strategy and implementation of the Giving Pledge and collaboration with giving partners.
• Engagement with opinion leaders, advisors, intermediaries and other external partners.
• This role manages 7-9 people and is responsible for hiring the talent needed to achieve our goals, ensuring successful employee onboarding, communicating performance expectations, creating goal alignment, integrating project and change management, giving and seeking feedback, providing coaching, measuring progress and holding people accountable, supporting employee development, and recognizing achievement and lessons learned.
• This role is responsible for high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with grantees and partners in the field.
Knowledge and skills required:
• Deep knowledge of the full spectrum of key topics in philanthropy (e.g., impact, collaboration, PRIs, governance/staffing, etc.)
• Understanding of emerging trends in philanthropy and the charitable sector
• A track record of thought leadership in leading networked initiatives and fostering peer to peer collaboration
• A deep understanding of relationship management
• Creativity and ability to easily adapt to changing environment
• Attention to detail, logical, systematic thinking and managing workflow while overseeing multiple priorities in a highly dynamic environment
• Confidence and judgment in making decisions
• Outstanding communication skills
• Discretion in managing confidential and sensitive relationships
• A deep commitment to the overall mission of the Philanthropic Partnerships Team, and an approach consistent with the foundation's guiding principles
• A sense of humor and flexibility to adapt to a very dynamic environment
• Ability to travel up to 25% domestically
• MBA, MPA, JD or similar degree and a minimum of 15 years progressively responsible relevant experience
• Demonstrated success working with high profile and/or high net worth individuals
• Demonstrated success in leadership roles requiring a combination of strong analytical, writing and management skills, as well as leadership experience managing and developing a team
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in positions requiring outstanding judgment and diplomacy in communicating with a broad and diverse audience
• Experience in a role requiring collaboration in complex internal and external organizations, as well as a demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy, particularly as part of a team effort
• Demonstrated proficiency using MSWord, Outlook, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint, and an interest in learning new technologies
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Requisition Number 5548BR
Be the first to comment
Sign in with