About the Organization
Wellspring Climate Initiative (WCI) seeks to avoid the worst impacts of climate change by dramatically reducing global greenhouse gas emissions and accelerating the transition to a clean energy future. The Climate Initiative’s investments are aimed at decarbonizing the world economy as quickly as possible and are focused on the strategies and venues where philanthropy can have the highest impact. Wellspring Climate Initiative is active in multiple geographies based on opportunities for cost‐effective mitigation. WCI believes that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large‐scale change. WCI is dedicated to building the political will and powerful coalitions needed to achieve these bold policy solutions. WCI was recently launched and is actively building its team. WCI is based in Irvine, California.
Wellspring Climate Initiative is part of the Wellspring Philanthropies and an initiative of Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (WPF), which opened its doors in 2001 with a mission to improve the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. The organization is supported by donors who share a common belief in and respect for the inherent worth and dignity of every person. Further information can be found here: https://wpfund.org/.
The Data Scientist will lead the delivery of salient and credible data analyses and products to inform evidence-based strategies for climate change mitigation. They will be responsible for the synthesis and analysis of both internal and external datasets, under the supervision of the Director, Measurement Evaluation and Learning. They will develop and maintain reproducible data workflows and data products (including visualizations, reports, and dashboards). They will work closely with colleagues across WCI, and with external partners including data providers and grantees. They will be based in Irvine, CA.
- Wrangling and synthesis of large external datasets (e.g., climate scenarios) into clear, compelling data products to support decision-making needs. Products may include reports, presentations, or interactive dashboards.
- Integration and custom statistical analysis of diverse datasets relevant to climate change mitigation efforts (e.g., country-level emissions trajectories; global climate scenarios).
- Reproducible & appropriate analysis of internal financial and programmatic datasets to support decision-making needs.
- Develop and maintain data workflows (via GitHub) for both external and internal datasets.
- Minimum of three-five years working in climate change data analytics or related field.
- Advanced degree in relevant field, including the statistical analysis of quantitative data.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in RStudio (including RShiny and RMarkdown), and GitHub is required. Knowledge of Python preferred.
- Familiarity with running custom scenarios in integrated assessment models (e.g., GCAM) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in the handling and management of large and/or sensitive datasets; and the development of data visualization and synthesis products.
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain close, collegial, and effective working relationships with colleagues and external collaborators.
- Willingness to engage in in-depth discussions about data/methodological validity, and to co-create analytical outputs.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range: $80 - $100K.
Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment or college savings assistance for qualified dependents and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
How to Apply
For employment consideration, please submit application to [email protected] Subject Line: “[Your name]— Data Scientist.”
All applications must include:
- A resume
- A thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements (specifying salary amount or range) and how you became aware of this opportunity
- Sample of R code, relevant to the position description
Wellspring’s Institutional Culture of Respect, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
WCI and WPF believe we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcome such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. WCI welcomes applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity, and inclusion that they seek through their work to amplify in the larger world.
WCI and Wellspring hire, promote and retain employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundations’ service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law (e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.
NOTE: At this time our preference is that applicants have work authorization to work in the United States.
The application deadline is 12/18/2020. (Candidates selected for interview will be contacted following the end of the application period.)
No Phone Calls Please
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with