The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation supports creative people, effective institutions, and influential networks building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world. MacArthur is placing a few big bets that truly significant progress is possible on some of the world’s most pressing social challenges, including over-incarceration, global climate change, nuclear risk, and significantly increasing financial capital for the social sector. In addition to the MacArthur Fellows Program, the Foundation continues its historic commitments to the role of journalism in a responsible and responsive democracy, as well as the strength and vitality of our headquarters city, Chicago.
MacArthur is one of the nation's largest independent foundations. Organizations supported by the Foundation work in about 50 countries. In addition to Chicago, MacArthur has offices in India, Mexico, and Nigeria.
The Communications team collaborates with program teams and other colleagues across the Foundation to create and implement strategic communications plans that enhance the impact of MacArthur’s work and the work of grantees. The team is responsible for the Foundation's strategic efforts to communicate with the press, public, and policymakers, including media relations, web and social media efforts, printed materials, and events. The team also provides communications support and advice to MacArthur’s leadership, staff, and grantees.
The Content Manager is an experienced, organized, project manager who will oversee the logistics of content creation and be responsible for supporting a team of communications officers in bringing communications and media relations plans to life; an entrepreneurial and collaborative colleague; and a results-oriented team player who gets things done.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and facilitates the creation of content, including e-mail campaigns, grantee stories, blogs, and evaluations and prepares them for distribution on the appropriate platform
- Oversees quality control process for all web/digital production
- Manages and maintains photo/video archive for more than 35,000 existing assets and grows the archive over time
- Facilitates the process of posting news releases, statements, blogs, and other content to the organization’s web site
- Serves as primary back-up on distribution e-mail campaigns and publishing web content
- Maintains communications materials on MacArthur’s intranet to ensure that content is up to date and effectively showcases organizational priorities
- Research, enhance, and implement best practices to build and maintain strategy-specific press lists for Foundation announcements
- Maintains the creation and distribution of weekly and long-term team calendars
- Works with contract graphic designer on creation of designed materials for web content to ensure they are accessible
- Coordinates and maintains a repository of shared team documents and resources; archive project materials
- Serves as Salesforce liaison for day-to-day Communications needs
- Handles other responsibilities and projects as assigned by the Managing Director, Communications
- At least six-eight years of full-time experience working in strategic communications, preferably for social impact
- A track record of success facilitating and executing comprehensive communications strategies, preferably in complex, multi-layered, intellectually charged work environments
- Experience working in or with the nonprofit sector and an understanding of the sector’s role in social change is preferred
- A strategic and creative thinker
- The ability to demonstrate grace under pressure while handling multiple competing demands and meeting tight deadlines
- A sophisticated understanding of social media tactics
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of AP style
- Significant experience writing and talking about social challenges and public issues in a style that respects their depth and complexity but is accessible to a well-educated, general audience
- An effective communicator and listener with superb organizational and interpersonal skills
- An agile, self-motivated, team player
The position is currently remote but, in the future, will require commuting to the Chicago office.
Please follow instructions to apply online here.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with