Management Assistance Group
We have over thirty-five years of experience working with thousands of social change organizations, networks, funders, and leaders. We deeply understand the strategies – such as public education, litigation, advocacy, media, lobbying, community organizing, coalition building, network building, policy analysis, and grassroots mobilization – that anchor social change. We are passionate strengthening movements and intersectional approaches to winning on today’s progressive issues.
Three Key Components
Our work includes three inter-related ways of strengthening visionary social justice organizations, leaders, and networks to create a more just world.
· Consulting engagements with social justice nonprofit organizations, leaders, and networks
· MagLab learning programs, such as the Network Leadership Innovation Lab, facilitated by MAG and co-designed with program participants
· Original research and writing that furthers the social justice and organizational development fields’ thinking on key issues
We constantly evolve our processes and approaches in each area based on what we are learning in other areas.
Naming difficult and core issues leads to deeper change.
We uncover the roots of problems and work with clients to take direct or indirect action to address them. We foster a climate of partnership in which tough questions can be confronted, worked through, and resolved in ways that create lasting power.
Building capacity to adapt in complex environments increases impact.
We understand that the future is unknown, unpredictable, and uncontrollable but you still need to make strategic choices to create and take advantage of opportunities. We help build capacity to adapt to the larger context without getting stretched too thin. We also help you to embrace the unique role that you play in relation to others in the movement who are equally critical to lasting social change.
Transformative consulting benefits from a process uniquely tailored to you.
We work in close partnership with you to choose the models, processes, and ways of communicating that will create the best results. While our engagements may be short-term, we often partner with clients on a series of projects over many years. From start to finish, we adjust what we do to get you to where you want to be. No cookie cutter projects here.
Sharing our collective learning is the only way to win a progressive agenda.
We are privileged to work with so many effective, inspiring clients and partners. We learn with and from you and we are committed to sharing what we learn with the sector at large. We can’t – and won’t—advance justice alone.
MAG envisions a future where the planet and all its inhabitants experience love, dignity, and justice. We are committed to advancing deep equity, cultivating a leaderful ecosystem, valuing multiple ways of knowing, creating the space for inner work, influencing complex systems change. We do this through consulting, coaching, and research services; experimentation and innovation labs; and facilitation of movement networks and cross-sector systems change initiatives.
We are looking for a partner who embraces innovation, risk, integrity, and emergence to join us. If you work in or with the social sector, want to advance social change, shift systems at scale, and like working at flexible, high-functioning organizations, consider joining our team.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Draft proposals for client engagements
· Conduct research, including review of background materials, literature reviews, surveys, interviews, focus groups, etc.
· Analyze and visualize data, including quantitative and qualitative
· Draft research results, meeting notes, other types of reports, and blogs
· Facilitate meetings
· Support communications, social media, marketing, and learning efforts
· Develop minutes and notes from staff, board, and client meetings
· Manage project timelines
· Provide programmatic support for MAGLabs
· Provide back up support for administrative staff, including event planning, scheduling, logistics, and file maintenance
· Other duties as needed
This is a mid-level position with the expectation of growing into leading consulting engagements on strategic planning, leadership development, management, and culture change as a Consultant. The role is 70% consulting and 30% administrative.
· Familiarity with or training in equity, race, and liberation (or related areas such as diversity, inclusion, anti-oppression, power and privilege, or cultural competency)
· Either at least 2 years of consulting or research experience or a Masters degree in a relevant field (e.g., public administration, public policy, organizational development, business administration, nonprofit management, sociology, anthropology, etc.)
· Excellent research skills, including quantitative and qualitative analysis
· Excellent writing skills, particularly research reports and blogs
· Comfort and experience with facilitation
· Demonstrated ability to independently organize and coordinate multiple activities
· Active in social media (e.g., Facebook, Linked In, Twitter, blogs, etc.)
· Strong commitment to the values of individuals, organizations and movements working for economic, political, and social justice.
· Curiosity about (a) the organizational aspects of nonprofits, multi-organizational systems, and movements; (b) individual, organizational, or systemic change; and (c) social change leadership.
· Preferred, but not required:
- Location within 30 minutes of a major metropolitan airport, particularly Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, New York, DC, Boston, or Atlanta
- Experience working in a virtual setting is a plus
- Excellent people skills, including insight into people and organizational dynamics
- Fluent in Spanish and English
Please provide/upload a cover letter, including how you heard about this position, and resume as one document.
Competitive compensation level depends upon experience.
This is a rolling application process so early applications are advised. Thank you for your interest in MAG.
The Management Assistance Group is committed to diversity and inclusion in every aspect of its work. We encourage people of all backgrounds and abilities to apply for this position. MAG is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.