You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing society.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented and highly motivated self-starter with exceptional communication and prioritization skills and proven integrity. We need someone to support multiple nonprofit organizations managed by Arabella Advisors. In this position, you will support the team’s legal, compliance, and human resources departments to support process and systems for managing federal and state registration and reporting, measure the success of internal compliance processes, and bolster these processes so they better fulfill compliance goals. If you have at least one year of professional work experience, an interest in nonprofit operations, and want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you.
State Compliance Management (40%)
- Coordinate communication with and track deadlines for submissions to state tax authorities, Secretaries of State, the IRS, and other Federal and state agencies under the supervision of counsel
- Manage and review work product of vendors who perform state charitable registration and business license filings for various nonprofits managed by Arabella
- Administer employer registration processes, including tax withholding, unemployment insurance, state workers compensation programs
- Coordinate flow of information between government entities and payroll manager, including relaying registration documentation and data among stakeholders
- Administer employment registration maintenance processes, including cyclical and ad hoc reporting, filings, and payments
- Ensure workers compensation insurance programs remain up-to-date
- Work with states to respond to inquiries and reconcile employment registration discrepancies.
- Maintain files for employment-based resources and records
Compliance Support (30%)
- Assist with compliance monitoring by reviewing documents and systems to evaluate whether staff are following internal policies and procedures designed to ensure compliance with legal, regulatory, business, and funder-imposed requirements. Support compilation, analysis, and reporting of the results of monitoring.
- Facilitate complete and accurate inter-organizational financial allocations by monitoring employee timesheets, following up with account staff to ensure complete and accurate submissions, and tracking lobbying allocations
- Assist in gathering data necessary for completion of state and federal reporting (including IRS From 990) and for financial audits, including pulling information from various technology platforms as well as administering an annual survey of to gather information from employees, contractors, and vendors
- Update processes and procedures related to compliance
Administrative Support (20%)
Perform administrative functions of the legal department, including:
- Manage the calendar of and serve as the liaison for Arabella’s General Counsel (GC) with staff and external contacts
- Manage documents for the GC, including reviewing materials for quality and accuracy as well as prioritizing for the GC’s review
- Provide administrative support to the GC, including reconciling expense reports and time tracking submissions
- Pay legal vendor invoices and interface with their billing departments
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Provide backup assistance to Compliance Associate
- Provide backup assistance for preparation of materials for boards of directors’ meetings of the managed nonprofit organizations
- Other ad-hoc special projects
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong desire to learn about the operations of non-profit organizations and about the laws and regulations that govern them. Demonstrated interest in philanthropy, nonprofits, and foundation operations/management.
- Minimum one year of work experience. Previous experience working in a legal or regulatory setting is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to produce thorough and independent research and prioritize and present findings
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong customer-service orientation
- Strong organizational skills and a meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to proactively problem-solve to identify both problems and potential solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Tenacity in the face of highly bureaucratic government systems
- Ability to manage multiple demands, projects, and deadlines
- High level of computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), database programs, and web-based communications tools
- Sense of humor, excellent judgement, and a strong sense of personal accountability
Our Core Competencies:
- [Service Excellence] The ability to provide excellent, reliable service, including the ability to effectively recognize and elevate potential challenges, gather the information necessary to create and carry out solutions, and support those solutions with clear communications and thorough follow up.
- [Project and Task Management] The ability to manage time, resources, and priorities to complete tasks on time with high-quality results
- [Stakeholder Management] The ability to be a positive and professional liaison for stakeholders such as clients, team members, and senior leaders, including understanding how the role relates to those stakeholders and how to gather information and resources from them in order to achieve certain goals
- [Communication] The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally to various audiences over various mediums
- [Collaboration] The ability to effectively collaborate, including a willingness to go above and beyond to help the team achieve goals, solicit others’ perspectives, share knowledge, and participate in activities that support diversity and inclusion
- [Continuous Learning] A demonstrated eagerness to learn and take on new challenges, including an openness to direction and feedback and a willingness to ask questions
- [Resourcefulness] The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, and to be resilient when things become difficult
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent.
You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.