The McKnight Foundation seeks an experienced communications manager to help us leverage the power of strategic communications to advance the mission of the Foundation and our program goals. This person will be joining at a critical moment in the Foundation’s history to contribute to an exciting new strategic direction, grounded in the values and approaches outlined in our Strategic Framework. As a sophisticated navigator of the digital ecosystem, an astute and caring steward of trusting relationships, and a perpetual solutions-finder, this person will have an opportunity to work in partnership with the communications director and other colleagues to enhance the department’s work for maximum social impact. Given our new grantmaking shifts, the team will offer more strategic counsel and narrative execution support to advance our major program goals, while maintaining the institution’s high levels of positive credible influence. In addition, our nimble communications team contributes to the Foundation’s commitments to transparency, knowledge sharing, thought leadership, and good governance.
The communications manager will join a highly regarded private family foundation with a culture that is mission-oriented and highly collaborative. McKnight staff take on meaningful, challenging work and receive excellent benefits, including opportunities for professional development and ongoing learning. This person will work in a four-person team as well as manage outside firms and freelancers.
Please note that your application must include three writing samples and responses to three specific questions in addition to your CV and cover letter. For more details, see the submission requirements in the gray box near the end of this job posting.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Support the various external communications needs of the entire organization, including the Foundation’s recently announced grantmaking direction.
- Supervise the editorial operations of our digital platforms, including our website, email, social media accounts, as well as third-party sites where we have a brand presence.
- Manage media relations, issues monitoring, and brand stewardship.
- Respond promptly to external requests from grantees, reporters, and other stakeholders.
- Offer strategic counsel and execute narrative strategies that build public will and support our programs, in particular our expanding Midwest Climate & Energy program and an emerging program to build an equitable and inclusive Minnesota.
- Support the board and senior leadership on various institutional initiatives, including internal projects and board governance presentations and materials.
- Advise the communications director on developing communications plans, policies, guidelines, process improvements, and staff resources.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with