The Communications Manager holds the overall responsibility for promoting First 5 Contra Costa’s brand, mission, strategies and messaging. This position is responsible for developing and executing a communications strategy to support successful implementation of the organization’s programs, advocacy efforts and strategic plan, and serves as the principal communications and marketing strategist for the organization. In collaboration with the Executive Director, management team, program officers and other staff as necessary, the Communications Manager leads and implements communications strategies at all levels: print and social media, social marketing and public education campaigns, video development, events, sponsorships, collateral materials, etc. The Communications Manager is a strategic partner with agency leadership as well as a key partner with other First 5s and organizations promoting the needs of children and families in Contra Costa and across the region, and ensures all communications reflect First 5’s core values of diversity & inclusion, equity, cultural humility, and community partnership.
About First 5 Contra Costa
First 5 Contra Costa helps young children grow up healthy and ready to learn during the most important time in their development. We have nearly 20 years of experience funding innovative programs and advocating for policies that produce better futures for our children. Since our inception, First 5 Contra Costa has invested more than $140 million in Prop. 10 revenues to programs and services that help Contra Costa’s children get the best start in life.
Vision: Contra Costa’s young children will be healthy, ready to learn, and supported in safe, nurturing families and communities.
Mission: To foster the optimal development of our children, prenatal through 5 years of age.
Core Values: Our everyday work is grounded in our commitment to diversity & inclusion, equity, cultural humility, and community partnerships.
Learn more at www.first5coco.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan that supports First 5’s strategic plan and outlines external and internal communications goals, audiences, messaging, effective tactics, and evaluation measures.
· Create clear, compelling, high quality, written and visual content for agency publications, newsletters, reports, website, social media, marketing and outreach materials, and ensures quality and consistency of messaging and products.
· Serve as a key agency strategist with the Executive Director and management team in developing strategic communication, capitalizing on opportunities to further First 5’s mission and values, and addressing emergent needs and crises.
· Collaborate with staff in the development, coordination, and implementation of communications and marketing strategies, including making the case for systems and policy changes that benefit children and families, promote racial/economic equity, community-based advocacy, and leverage First 5’s role as a leading county advocate for children.
· Implement and coordinate strategies and agency events including, but not limited to the annual Coffee and Kids policy breakfast, VIP site visits, and community convening’s promoting policy/systems change, key stakeholder engagement, and press opportunities.
· Successfully partner and maintain relationships with local and national media channels to share First 5’s vision.
· Identify and place earned media opportunities; produce news releases, talking points, and op-eds; and maintain current press lists and media materials.
· Provide ongoing training and technical assistance to foster programmatic and advocacy success, and build staff and community partners’ capacity as agency spokespeople and advocates, including training on media interviews, social media, video production, and other strategies to advance First 5’s strategic plan.
· Maintain relationships with other First 5 communications staff, the First 5 Association, and First 5 California.
· With agency leadership, develops and manages an annual budget to support ongoing and new activities in line with the communications plan and agency needs.
· Identify and select quality professional services consultants, as needed; and monitors consultant work to ensure successful and timely execution of services.
· Attend First 5 Commission meetings and other external events as necessary.
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
This position supervises the Communications Specialist and a shared Assistant II.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
· A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven years of experience in communications, marketing, journalism or a related field. Two years of additional experience may be substituted for a Bachelor’s degree.
· Experience developing and implementing organizational communications plans.
· Direct experience leading and managing comprehensive communications and marketing efforts in a government agency or an advocacy, non-profit or philanthropic organization.
· Experience in situations requiring crisis communications strategies and tactics.
· Familiarity intersecting and collaborating with media, elected and administrative government, private sector, non-profit and other stakeholders.
· Experience planning and implementing high quality and compelling events for media and others.
· Experience working within agency teams and collaborating with community stakeholders of all kinds.
· Reputation for thinking critically and strategically, to achieve solutions for problems at multiple levels.
· Ability to navigate political sensitivities and build relationships to support agency goals.
· Successful track record managing budgets, contracts and implementation plans within financial and time constraints.
· Excellent written and oral communications skills. Must be clear and concise, able to communicate complex information in a digestible format, tailored to appropriate audiences in multiple languages.
· Self-directed, high-performing, and committed to First 5’s mission to support Contra Costa’s families with young children.
· Ability to model and promote organizational values and participate as a key strategic partner in the organization’s leadership structure.
· Effective project management skills including ability to manage several projects simultaneously while upholding quality standards and cost efficiencies.
· Critical and analytical thinker who can approach problem solving creatively and manage complex issues, while considering the needs of varied stakeholders.
· Demonstrated skill in implementing a variety of effective communication strategies, with deep knowledge of local and online media markets; print, broadcast, and online news organizations; and web and social media analytics and tactics to maintain and improve the organization’s strategic presence at all levels.
· Effective manager of people who can provide direction, guidance and feedback to strengthen knowledge and skills. Shows a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values perspectives and encourages contributions by all team members.
· Excellent computer skills in MS Office applications.
Preferred, not required
· Highly preferred experience in developing materials and processes for a diverse community and demonstrated ability to adapt or target communications for cultural/ethnic specific groups when needed.
· Spanish fluency, both oral and written, is highly preferred.
· Experience working or living in Contra Costa County or the Bay Area.
· Experience working in a public or non-profit organization with an understanding of procurement, contracting and grant monitoring processes.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary is commensurate with experience. First 5 Contra Costa offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a brief letter of introduction and that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position.
Electronic submissions should include Communication Manager in the subject line and be sent to [email protected]. Or mailed to First 5 Contra Costa, Human Resources, 1485 Civic Court, Suite 1200, Concord, CA 94520.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. The position will remain open until filled.
First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with