Reporting to the Senior Vice President/Chief Strategy Officer, the Communications Manager is responsible for ensuring that the Forum uses communications as effectively as possible to advance the Forum’s mission and vision. Working in collaboration with the rest of the Forum team, the Communications Manager will develop and execute strategic communications plans, maximize the Forum’s new brand identity, and make appropriate and effective use of all Forum communications channels for our core work in public policy, philanthropy education, knowledge services and member services.
The Communications Manager will contribute as an active member of cross-organization teams and work collaboratively with other staff to advance program and organizational goals.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in the Forum’s Washington, DC office. Salary is in the mid-60s, with a competitive benefits package including health coverage.
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]; please use the following subject line: “Communications Manager: Last Name, First Name.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Forum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse team and encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds.
No telephone inquiries please.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications Planning & Strategy
- Develop and execute a strategic communications plan to guide the Forum’s use of communications to advance the Forum’s mission and vision.
- Develop and execute communications implementation plans for various Forum projects and initiatives.
- Manage the effective use of the Forum’s new brand identity (which is under development) in all Forum communications.
- Manage all Forum communications policies and procedures.
- Manage evaluations of all Forum communications.
- Write and update content for Forum’s website and manage all updates and changes to the website’s design, structure and navigation.
- Manage, design and write all Forum e-newsletters, including a general newsletter and programs newsletter.
- Manage, design and write copy for Forum marketing materials, including promotions for all Forum programs and for membership recruitment materials and communications.
- Manage all communications for Forum’s annual conference, including conference promotions, on-site conference materials, use of social media, etc.
- Manage and write content for Forum’s social media communications, including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Manage use of Forum’s blog, including original Forum contributions and contributions from guests.
- Manage, design and write key Forum publications, such as annual report, research reports, etc.
- Manage work of any outside vendors used to support the Forum’s communications efforts.
- Manage Forum’s media relations efforts.
- Execute the effective use of the Forum’s new brand identity in all Forum communications.
Member Communications Support
- Serve as key staff liaison for Forum’s services and support for the Forum’s Peer Community member group for communications professionals.
- Manage and coordinate a listserv, regular round robin calls, in-person conference meeting and other programming, as needed, for Forum’s Peer Community member communications group.
- Support CEO and other members of the Forum team, as needed, in writing presentations and creating slides for presentations.
- Offer support and guidance to members of the Forum team, as needed, on communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
- Three or more years’ experience in communications.
- Strong demonstrated writing skills.
- Experience with website, email and social media communications; knowledge of HTML preferred.
- Experience in marketing communications.
- Experience in maintaining and advancing an organization’s brand identity.
- Orientation toward continuous learning for self and others.
- Effective project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group.
- Focus on client needs: anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of internal and external clients within parameters of organization strategy.
- Organize: set priorities, develop schedules, and monitor programs toward goals.
- Solve problems: assess situations, identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate solutions.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for the Forum’s mission.
- Knowledge of philanthropy/nonprofit sector preferred but not required.
- Experience with associations preferred but not required.
The Forum team has identified the following core competencies as critical for our work:
- Building Relationships
- Communicating Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Strategic Agility
- Supporting Organizational Goals