The Communications team seeks to enhance the impact of MacArthur’s grantmaking by drawing attention to, and sharing information about, the fields in which the Foundation is engaged by spotlighting grantees and ensuring transparency about grantmaking and operations. The team achieves these objectives through media relations, social media, web content, real world and digital events, printed publications, and support and training for MacArthur staff and grantees.
The Communications Associate provides writing, research, and organizational support to the Foundation’s Communications team, primarily to its Communications Officers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write short summaries of grantee research and reports and other program content for the Foundation’s website
- Research and write longer stories and blog posts about the work of grantees
- Draft daily posts for social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Manage and grow the Foundation’s photo/video archive, to create a well-organized system of more than 35,000 existing assets
- Conduct daily media monitoring, share coverage internally and post key media clips to the Foundation’s website
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Compile and edit weekly media clips for staff and Board, as well as monthly updates for the Board
- Research, develop, and maintain press lists for Foundation announcements
- Conduct short-term research projects for the Communications team
- Prepare PowerPoint slides and other materials for team presentations
- Proofread written materials carefully
- Perform other duties as assigned
The position is based in Chicago, Illinois.
- A bachelor’s degree plus 2 to 4 years of relevant, professional work experience
- Demonstrated interest and experience in nonprofit communications, public relations, journalism, and/or new media preferred
- Excellent writing skills including experience writing for the Web
- Well-developed organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to manage multiple tasks and projects under tight deadlines
- Able to take initiative and work proactively
- Experience with social media and/or production of multimedia content and/or working with databases is a plus
- Positive, “can-do” attitude and a willingness to do what is necessary to get the job done
- Trustworthy and respectful, committed to excellence, with a collaborative workstyle
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The work environment is an office setting. Intermittent physical activities will include bending, reaching, sitting, and walking during working hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a person with physical disabilities to perform the job.
To apply for the Communications Associate position, interested candidates should visit www.macfound.org/jobs. Electronic submissions are required. Please submit a cover letter and resume explaining your interest in the position and your relevant experience. You will receive acknowledgement that your application was received.
We will contact applicants who are selected for further consideration. We are not able to respond to general inquiries from all applicants. If you have problems with the online system, please contact our Human Resources Department at: [email protected].
The Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and benefits from the various perspectives and talents of a racially and culturally diverse staff.