The Communications Associate, under the direction of the Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs, is responsible for budget management and internal communication. In addition, the Communications Associate works to support the work of other members of the departmental team to implement initiatives. The range of activities requires both the ability to manage a proactive and time-sensitive work schedule on an independent basis as well as the ability to be part of a team.
- Communications Department budget manager – responsible for overseeing the preparation of purchase orders, collecting requisite approval signatures, working with Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs and Director of Publications and Marketing to track actual-to-budget expenditures throughout the fiscal year, working with Finance Department to ensure timely payment of invoices;
- Database administrator – responsible for maintaining data integrity of Communications Department contact lists (with specific focus on Boston Civic Leaders), updating address and email information on returned mail, coding individuals for targeted mailings, proactively adding to or editing existing lists
- Mailings coordinator – responsible for building appropriate distribution lists, producing and organizing various materials for mailings (including newsletters, invitations, reports, etc.) , handling logistics of large-scale mailings with outside mail-house, operating several email accounts for various News Flash eblasts and evite;
- Administrative support for Communications Department staff – responsible for assisting Vice President with research and collateral for political meetings, , maintaining up-to-date documents for public affairs packets, handling schedules and correspondence with Executive Assistant;
- Publications supervisor – responsible for maintaining inventory of all Foundation publications, refilling display rack in lobby, mailing reports as necessary, fulfilling requests for materials from internal staff and outside partners;
- Special projects executer– responsible for various other projects and tasks as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Relieves the receptionist on a rotating schedule with other administrative personnel when necessary;
- Serves on various cross-departmental committees around technology, knowledge/database management and others as assigned;
- Assists other departments with event registration;
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required plus two (2) to three (3) years of relevant professional experience;
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Familiarity with content management systems and database experience required;
- Excellent proven written, verbal, oral, and web-based technical and communications skills required;
- Experience working in a fast-paced, complex environment and the proven ability to handle myriad duties, responsibilities and logistics on a daily basis.
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- Ability to make decisions about managing and organizing own workload;
- Collaborative work style and the ability to receive feedback;
- Flexibility and a willingness to respond to an evolving set or priorities, and
- Mature interpersonal style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people.