Rainforest Action Program Director
San Francisco, CA
Rainforest Action Network challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that challenge systems of oppression or injustice.
The Climate and Energy Program Director is responsible for the overall vision and day-to-day management of RAN’s climate and energy program to keep fossil fuels in the ground and persuade corporate targets — including the world’s largest banks — to develop and implement comprehensive climate, environmental and human rights policies to guide their lending. At a time when we know that the global climate agreement reached in Paris is insufficient to ensure a livable planet, and we know that in the United States there is a need to prepare for attempts to weaken existing climate programs, this position will drive the Climate and Energy team forward while ensuring our work is aligned with that of our frontline and grassroots partners. RAN is committed to: pushing back against corporate power, challenging bad public policy on climate & energy, and continuing to punch above our weight.
This is a highly collaborative position, working closely with communication, digital and development departments. The ideal candidate will thrive at coordinating inter-departmental teams, managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced campaigning environment, and listening to and incorporating feedback from our frontline partners. The Climate and Energy Program Director will serve on the Leadership Team of the organization and will be managed by the Executive Director.
- Supervise and coach the campaigners, organizers, and researchers on the Climate and Energy Program Team;
- Ensure foundation and donor support covers the majority of Climate and Energy program expenses, in collaboration with the Development team;
- Oversee annual planning for the Climate and Energy campaign staff;
- Develop & administer an annual program budget of roughly $1 million;
- Lead work planning for the Climate and Energy team, oversee project plans and ensure campaign activities are well coordinated with other departments at RAN;
- Serve as strategic lead for energy campaigns and ensure RAN’s campaign strategies are aligned with RAN’s mission, vision and strategic plan;
- Assume campaign director duties as necessary;
- Serve on RAN’s leadership team, which includes acting as an organizational leader in administrative, programmatic, and management capacities.;
- Support the Executive Director and team with necessary written and verbal communications as needed for negotiations with corporate targets, media interviews and donor meetings;
- Oversee integration of racial justice work into campaign plans and team projects;
- Maintain relationships with close coalition partners and allies through organizing, outreach, and collaboration;
- Help campaign staff prepare campaign materials, including reports, website, fact sheets, action alerts, communications to members, etc;
- Represent RAN at external events and provide motivation and tools to grassroots constituencies;
- Act as a public and media spokesperson for RAN;
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace;
- Report to Executive Director regularly on accomplishments and plans of action for RAN’s Climate and Energy campaigns;
- Report similarly to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis;
- Organize annual performance reviews for directly-reporting staff.
- 8-10 years running advocacy campaigns, ideally corporate campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience with offline and digital campaigning tactics and a demonstrated ability to get results from entrenched targets;
- 5 or more years in a management position and commitment to coaching and mentoring team members;
- Successful track record of cultivating funders and writing approved foundation grants;
- Commitment and experience working toward racial justice;
- Experience working with Indigenous and frontline communities;
- Demonstrated understanding of grassroots organizing, movement building and nonviolent direct action;
- Experience in leading corporate negotiations;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills that are adaptable to various offline and digital mediums, in particular, in the form of corporate letters, blogs post and op-eds, online email blasts as well as fundraising proposals;
- Ability to travel frequently;
- Ability to work in the US.
- Campaign experience in some or all of the following areas: climate change, human rights, Indigenous rights, energy policy, specific fossil fuel sectors, finance, corporate social responsibility;
- Relationships with frontline allies, energy and climate related organizations and leaders in the U.S. and internationally;
- Experience leading research projects.
RAN works to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small to medium non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
To apply, please send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.