ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England (“PPSNE”) fights to protect the fundamental right of all individuals to manage their own fertility and sexual health, and to ensure access to the services, education, and information to realize that right.
PPSNE provides a wide range of reproductive and sexual health care services at 17 health centers which serve more than 78,000 people each year in Connecticut and Rhode Island. An incredible staff of community educators reach tens of thousands of youth, parents, educators, and health care workers with vital information on health, relationships and sexually-transmitted infections. PPSNE has also actively committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and is working to create an inclusive organization, one with diverse voices and a space for those voices to be heard.
Whether the fight is in the headlines or the back rooms of the state capitol, PPSNE is there with a cadre of activists and strong coalitions giving life and voice to legislative and political initiatives.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Chief Development Officer (“CDO”) is the lead professional fundraiser responsible for strategizing, designing, and executing an ambitious agency-wide strategic vision and action plan to significantly increase fundraising revenue. More specifically, overseeing a team of eight, the CDO leads all PPSNE fundraising activities in Connecticut and Rhode Island, including major giving, direct mail programs, planned giving, capital campaign, PPVotes! (C4) fundraising, and special events.
PPSNE’s key development priorities include:
- Substantially growing the development program (approximately $7.5M in FY19) through building the major donor program, implementing innovative programs and bringing new and diverse donors to PPSNE;
- Launching a capital campaign in sync with the 100th year anniversary in 2023;
- Inspiring support from the people representative of PPSNE’s prioritized and diverse communities with a focus on inclusive philanthropy and expanding the donor base; and
- Advancing a culture of philanthropy and giving across the organization in partnership with the Executive Leadership Team.
The CDO works closely with the President/Chief Executive Officer to support and grow fundraising, as well as staff the Board Philanthropy Committee and, in partnership with the CEO, the Board Governance Committee. The CDO is also a critical member of the Executive Leadership Team of PPSNE and will partner directly with the Chief External Affairs Officer to ensure deeper engagement with all constituents.
Overall Responsibilities Include:
Leadership and Strategy
- Serve as the principal development professional internally and externally to drive fundraising, revenue, and donor engagement with a new, fresh perspective.
- Design and implement a strategy and plan to substantially increase annual support as well as conceive and launch a new capital campaign.
- Work in close collaboration with the President and CEO to ensure successful delivery on fundraising goals and objectives, including supporting the CEO’s donor portfolio of ~60 and managing a personal portfolio of ~25 donors.
- In conjunction with the Executive Leadership Team, promote dynamic collaboration across all teams, including: strengthening the alignment of goals and roles; fostering open communication; ensuring accountability; prioritizing diversity, equity and inclusion in an authentic way; and driving an overall culture of philanthropy.
- Manage and mentor a culturally diverse team while creating and sustaining an organizational culture that fosters inclusiveness and equity as well as provides positive and developmental feedback and accountability related to practices including but not limited to equity.
Fundraising and Donor Engagement
- Strategically grow funding sources by expanding the individual major gift program including identifying new donors, cultivating existing donors, and expanding donor engagement across communities in Connecticut and Rhode Island.
- Inspire a rigorous yet innovative culture for overall fundraising initiatives in order to meet PPSNE’s development goals.
- Drive fund development activities for not only PPSNE, but also for the C4 organizations, Planned Parenthood Votes! Connecticut and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island.
- Engage the Board Philanthropy Committee and the Board of Directors in the overall fundraising activities of PPSNE and encourage a higher level of involvement in fundraising.
- Oversee special events including the Spring Luncheon in Fairfield County, CT, the Champions event in Providence, RI, and several additional annual events to support both the C3 and the C4s.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
PPSNE seeks an inspiring leader and donor-centered strategist with a deep commitment to women’s health, reproductive freedom, social justice and diversity, equity and inclusion to join a leading Planned Parenthood affiliate and help shape the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all.
The successful CDO is an authentic relationship-focused connector with energy and a drive for results. They are also a collaborative partner with a history of successfully working across functions, with volunteer leadership, and across constituencies to inspire a culture of giving.
Key Professional and Personal Experiences Include:
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in non-profit fundraising, with proven ability to identify, cultivate, solicit, and close six-figure gifts from individuals, and a familiarity with all aspects of fund development.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in team management with the ability to motivate, inspire and build a team.
- Passionate commitment to PPSNE’s mission and values related to health equity, especially centering on racial equity, and a deep sense of accountability to community.
- Demonstrated commitment to learning about and enhancing practices related to racial equity and the impact of structural racism on healthcare systems.
- Prior success in fostering cross-departmental partnerships and collaborations to advance fundraising priorities and engage and expand philanthropic support and culture.
- Entrepreneurial with experience implementing innovative and creative fundraising initiatives.
- A strategic thinker with an analytic bent and a focus on outcomes, finances and impact.
- Sound judgement and grace under pressure with a track record of anticipating problems and negotiating solutions.
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills with the ability to reflect on one’s personal identity with humility.
- A demonstrated ability to work and build trust across cultural differences as well as to effectively communicate across differences related to race, class, age, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin or ability.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree, legal degree, or equivalent work experience strongly preferred in one or more of the following areas: fund development, non-profit governance, business administration, organizational development.
TRAVEL: The CDO will divide their time between Connecticut and Rhode Island as needed.
COMPENSATION: PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
We are actively seeking candidates and nominations for this role. Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to: [email protected]