GLIDE is a social justice movement, social service provider, and spiritual community that delivers compassionate, sustained, and comprehensive care to all in need. For over 50 years, GLIDE has worked on the front lines of San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood— one of the United States’ most challenged, inspiring communities— by providing food, housing, healthcare, and family services to its residents.
Today, GLIDE is building on the legacy of activist co-founders Cecil Williams and Janice Mirikitani, to deepen its impact and extend its reach. Under the leadership of President and CEO Karen Hanrahan, and alongside its community members, GLIDE seeks to create transformational change in the lives of those disenfranchised and dispossessed in one of the nation’s most visible geographies for both wealth creation and economic inequality.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
GLIDE seeks a seasoned and strategic development professional to join its dedicated leadership team during a time of exceptional growth and change. The inaugural Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be charged with building a best-in-class development operation while leading a $50M-$100M+ comprehensive and capital campaign. The individual who will thrive in this position will be a purpose-driven executive who embraces GLIDE’s mission to alleviate suffering and break the cycle of poverty and marginalization; and lives its values of radical inclusivity, unconditional love, truth telling, and celebration. The CDO will be passionate about leveraging his or her professional expertise to advance social justice in San Francisco.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, direct, and execute on a $50M-$100M+ comprehensive and capital campaign;
- Raise, and lead teams to raise, significant philanthropic revenue from all sources (individual, corporate, and foundation);
- Engage effectively with relevant Bay Area (and national) high and ultra-high net worth individuals and communities. Develop and manage a high-value, high-yield personal portfolio with strong representation from these constituencies;
- Develop the personal and professional abilities of the development team. Manage the team to a high standard of individual and collective performance;
- Professionalize and manage development operations to a ‘gold standard’;
- Create and sustain a ‘culture of philanthropy’ within the organization and board. Co-manage the board of directors with GLIDE’s CEO;
- Serve as a spokesperson for GLIDE, representing and influencing people across social strata;
- Act as a thought partner to senior executives and board members;
- Creatively engage and mobilize support from new constituencies;
- Lead effectively through a period of organizational transition.
- 15+ years’ experience in highly responsible development positions, including in entrepreneurial and growth contexts;
- Experience developing and leading 8+ figure campaigns;
- Experience building and sustaining productive donor relationships, including with high and ultra-high net worth individuals;
- Extensive working and managerial knowledge of corporate, foundation, and individual giving (including annual, major and planned giving);
- Experience managing, mentoring, and growing high-performing development teams;
- Experience managing and growing efficient and effective development operations;
- Outstanding communication skills across multiple platforms, contexts and communities;
- Credibility and compassion to represent and advocate for an organization embedded in a high poverty community with extensive and complex needs (San Francisco’s Tenderloin district);
- Ability to work non-traditional hours (nights and weekends).
GLIDE has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link.
Please refrain from contacting GLIDE directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at GLIDE-CDO@schaffercombs.com. S&C will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.
GLIDE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, disability, or sexual orientation. As an equal opportunity employer, GLIDE is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. People of color, differently-abled people and LGBT persons are strongly encouraged to apply.