About Prosperity Now
Prosperity Now is a national nonprofit based in Washington, DC, dedicated to expanding economic opportunity for low- and moderate- income families and communities in the United States. Since 1979, we have helped make it possible for millions of people, especially people of color and those of limited incomes, to achieve financial security, stability and, ultimately, prosperity. We offer a unique combination of scalable practical solutions, in-depth research, and proven policy solutions, all aimed at building wealth for those who need it most.
The CDCO is a strategic and visionary leader with an adaptive management style who is passionate about building philanthropy, community engagement, and the overall organization brand. The CDCO is emotionally intelligent, a good communicator and relationship manager, attuned to diversity and inclusion, technology savvy, and agile. The CDCO can lead change, build trust and engagement, and respond effectively to a continually changing environment. And leads staff toward meeting the organization's vision, mission and goals, providing an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, and facilitates cooperation and teamwork.
The CDCO leads efforts to secure the financial resources necessary to support the organization’s mission, strategic priorities and goals by engaging and partnering with individuals, groups, communities and institutional philanthropists. The CDCO identifies opportunities for marketing and promoting the organization, creates and executes a strategy to further brand recognition, and sources the funds needed to sustain the organization now and in the foreseeable future. The CDCO reports to the President/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and is a member of the Leadership Team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Vision
- Designing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the organization’s communications, advocacy, marketing, and fundraising strategies. Setting and meeting ambitious programmatic and financial goals designed to further the organization’s strategic objectives.
Donor-Centric Cultivation and Stewardship
- Researching and identifying major funding prospects including individuals, corporations and foundations. Specifically:
- Major Gifts: Build, grow and maintain productive relationships leading to soliciting and closing major gifts for both unrestricted and restricted funds.
- Grants: Establish and implement an aggressive grants program including public and private sources. Provide sophisticated strategy and direction for grant writing while working with programs to identify funding priorities.
- Planned Giving and Endowment: Oversee the development and implementation of the planned giving program while providing guidance for the solicitation and deployment of planned gifts.
- Special Events: Oversee coordination, creative efforts and marketing of all special events various as well as initiatives targeted to diversify donor base.
- Campaigns: Implement annual giving and other campaigns based on programmatic priorities. Develop capital fund drives, endowment and other campaigns as directed by the Board and President.
- Internal Controls: Putting systems in place to effectively oversee, maintain, track and measure donor activity and retention and ensure increased contributions.
- Assist key supporters: Involving and inspiring staff and the Board of Directors (and President/CEO) in their efforts to cultivate current and potential donors and make Prosperity Now a philanthropic priority.
- Serve as the authority and senior advisor to the President/CEO, Board and members of the Leadership Team on communications issues and initiatives.
- Comprehend and effectively interpret for others the organization’s financial and programmatic needs.
- Identify priorities and develop and implement marketing and communications strategies to build the visibility and credibility of Prosperity Now and establish and maintain communication between the organization and its stakeholder audiences.
- Spearhead multi-media informational and educational campaigns.
- Advise management and staff on policy formulation and advocacy issues based on the potential interest and reactions of the public and other stakeholders.
- Ensure clear messaging and coordinate the brand continuity of informational materials while communicating the organization’s policies, programs, services, and activities.
- Oversee, produce and disseminate newsletters, annual reports, press releases, publications, educational materials, and articles for a variety of audiences.
- Plan, install, and staff exhibits for public events and informational displays.
- Ensure the consistency, effectiveness, and control of the Prosperity Now brand and image.
- Design, develop, evaluate, staff or facilitate conferences, educational, training or outreach programs, workshops, seminars or similar activities designed to convey knowledge of the organization’s programs or activities to the general public or other specialized audiences.
- Manage media relations with press and other media outlets.
- Ensure staff and Board are prepared to serve as spokespeople who are well-versed on key organizational priorities.
- Manage social and multi-media. Provide strategic support for the website, social media posts and other online communications and expand to new audiences and new methodologies.
- Manage the development and implementation of a comprehensive communication plan for Prosperity Now. Routinely update Prosperity Now’s publications and website with the assistance of staff and contract personnel.
Manage Organizational Resources
- Ensure the effective, efficient, and productive use of fiscal, technology and human resources. Specifically:
- Manage, motivate and mentor a dynamic and growing staff.
- Manage the department staff and contractors, including the recruitment and utilization of volunteers for fundraising, donor recognition and other events.
- Design and execute a fiscal and multiyear development and communications plan and budget.
- At least ten years of combined fundraising and communications experience, including a successful record in securing major gifts and funding.
- Knowledge and experience in communications and fundraising to include: (1) face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, special events, annual giving programs as well as fundraising reporting, donor privacy and donor database management; and (2) marketing, social and multi-media communications strategies, media relations, advocacy, and brand identify and recognition.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and strong management skills including a proven ability to motivate, coach and inspire staff.
- Commitment to a donor-centric, results-oriented and entrepreneurial approach to fundraising.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing and implementing a comprehensive development program and producing contributed income, including personally soliciting and closing six-figure gifts.
- Proven track record with successfully managing a sophisticated institutional grants program.
- Demonstrated time management, planning, and organizational skills, with an emphasis on good judgment, detail and accuracy. Capable of effectively and calmly managing many priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as work effectively as a member of a team.
- Committed to expanding economic opportunity and advancing Prosperity Now’s mission.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Leadership–Influencing and persuading others, building consensus and gaining cooperation and fellowship from others to obtain information and accomplish organizational goals.
- Creativity and Innovation– Developing new insights into situations; questioning conventional approaches; and, encouraging new ideas and innovations.
- Political Savvy– Being aware and current on local and national policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders' perspectives and views.
- Flexibility, Nimbleness and Agility– Rapidly adapting to new information, changing conditions, and unexpected obstacles.
- Resilience–Dealing effectively with pressure and recovering quickly from setbacks.
- Vision–Taking a long-term view, acting as a catalyst and influencing others to translate vision into action.
- Conflict Management–Encouraging creative tensions and differences of opinion and resolving disagreements in a constructive manner.
- Developing Others–Fostering an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued, encouraged and professionally developed.
- Team Building–Inspiring team commitment, spirit, pride and trust.
- Accountability– Holding self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
- Entrepreneurship– Positioning the organization for future success by identifying new opportunities and taking calculated risks.
- Strategic Partnerships and Alliances–Developing networks and collaborating across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve organizational
- Technical Credibility—Understanding and appropriately applying professional knowledge and best practices of fundraising, marketing, communications and advocacy.
- Business Acumen—Understanding the systems, strategies, processes and practices for business success in the non-profit realm.
Prosperity Now provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.