Fox Hollow Ventures LLC ("Fox Hollow") is the family office for Scott Cook (co-founder of Intuit) and Signe Ostby (collectively, the "Principals"). Fox Hollow supports Scott and Signe’s philanthropic endeavors through the Valhalla Charitable Foundation ("VCF").
Valhalla Charitable Foundation invests in and supports innovative organizations having impact in three areas: education (with an emphasis on early childhood development and parental support in the U.S.), environmental innovation, and medical research. Through VCF and on a personal basis, they make grants to nonprofit organizations (80% of their investments) as well as equity investments in for-profit social impact organizations (20% of their investments).
VCF assesses grant/investment decisions against six guideposts: an innovative solution meeting an important unmet need, demonstrated impact on learning and life outcomes proven through rigorous evaluation, potential for meaningful scale, sound business model and financials, exceptional leadership, and the opportunity to play a catalytic role for the organization to address the problem they are trying to solve.
Sample grantees/investments include UPSTART (Waterford Institute), Centering Healthcare Institute, Wildflower Schools, ParentPowered, ThinkCERCA, BetterLesson, UCSF Multiple Sclerosis Center and the Sandler Fellows Program, the Whitehead Institute Fellows, Environmental Defense Fund, One Acre Fund, and Living Goods + Last Mile Health.
With Scott and Signe’s commitment to The Giving Pledge, Valhalla Charitable Foundation is at an exciting inflection point as Scott and Signe seek to scale the impact of their giving. VCF is seeking a talented and resourceful Associate to fill out a small but mighty team. Reporting to the Executive Director of the foundation, this Associate will be an integral member of the grantmaking team, which formulates grant-making goals, strategies, and protocols; develops specific investment recommendations; supports portfolio organizations in maximizing their potential for impact; and assesses portfolio performance.
A detail-oriented project manager with a genuine interest in social impact, the Associate will have the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with colleagues to assess prospective investment opportunities, serve grantees, assess the performance of portfolio organizations individually and collectively, and serve as a welcoming and knowledgeable representative for the foundation externally. VCF is deeply committed to professional development and as the Associate grows and progresses in their role there will be opportunities for upward career mobility within VCF. This is a unique opportunity for a collaborative and driven individual who is excited by the opportunity to learn all aspects of grantmaking and by extension, increase the impact of organizations across the sector.
The Associate will be responsible for the following activities:
- Conduct due diligence on prospective grantee organizations and evaluate potential investments
- Measure overall portfolio performance and share successes and failures with the team
- Provide strategic and analytical support to portfolio organizations (individually and collectively) to maximize their impact
- Serve as a trusted and strategic support for select portfolio organizations
- Research trends, prospects, and advances in the foundation’s issue areas and prepare summary analyses for review
- Support Scott, Signe, and senior leadership on special projects
The Associate will possess the following qualifications:
- Robust analytical skills particularly with quantitative data (e.g., impact measurement, financial and statistical analysis), and strong judgment; demonstrated ability to quickly assess situations, identify trends, evaluate opportunities and develop solutions in a changing environment
- Strong project management skills and exceptional attention to detail; keen ability to organize a workplan and execute against deadlines; appropriately seek input from team members
- Curiosity, keen listening skills and a consultative, problem-solving approach to challenges
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and a willingness to jump in where needed
- Familiarity with the latest technology including web-based applications, analytical software, and data tracking tools including Salesforce
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; able to effectively synthesize analysis for multiple audiences with a focus on risk/reward
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders alike and to represent the foundation in a highly professional and supportive manner
- A style that includes flexibility, adaptability, a positive outlook, and an eagerness to “roll-up one’s sleeves” without significant oversight or direction
- Humble with a strong learning orientation and a willingness to act upon feedback
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the social sector
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred
Valhalla Charitable Foundation / Fox Hollow Ventures has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Fox Hollow Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of the applicant's race, color, religion, gender identify, age, or sexual orientation.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.