NPAG is a talent strategy, executive search, and organizational consulting firm dedicated to serving mission-driven organizations at the leading edge of movements for social change and sustainability. Our core business is expanding the capacity and diversity of nonprofits by helping them build teams of leaders, changemakers, connectors, and disruptors to advance the missions they serve.
Over our 17 years in business, we have developed a virtual consulting model which allows us to provide the highest quality services with a full range of flexibility that results in a sector-leading value proposition for our clients and employees. We offer a creative, energetic, family-friendly workplace environment – our team members span all regions of the U.S. and represent a wide diversity of experiences, perspectives, and identities across functional and mission areas.
The strength and diversity of our team translates directly to the measurable impact of our work building healthy organizations in the mission-driven sector. Our clients do critical work to advance just, vibrant, and healthy communities and a healthy planet. At NPAG we work with our clients not just to identify and attract top talent, but to better understand the landscape of challenges and opportunities they face by effectively tapping the wisdom of diverse networks of leaders. The results speak for themselves, and to cite just one measure, between 50-60% of our placements identify as people of color, and about two-thirds are women.
NPAG continues to expand our team of Associates at all levels to meet the growing demand for our services and integrated approach. We are seeking highly motivated, organized, values-aligned, client-focused problem solvers to join our national team. Our ability to deliver the highest quality services and fulfill our mission is directly related to the diversity of perspectives and identities represented on our team. We continue to seek and invite staff representation of those who have been historically marginalized. We began a formal supported equity assessment and learning process in 2019. As we carry that process forward into further learning, reflection, and improvement, we seek new colleagues who will engage deeply and grow with us in living our commitment to equity.
THE ROLE: OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
Associates in the firm are client-facing project managers, talent strategists, relationship builders, skilled writers, and facilitators of collaborative processes who understand how attention to detail and service in even the more transactional aspects of their work translates into trust and positive impact with our clients. Candidates must demonstrate highly refined critical thinking and project management skills, a proactive service orientation, the ability to create high-quality client deliverables, exceptional communication skills and a keen eye for both detail and nuance. The ideal candidate will bring relevant mission-driven experience (e.g. advocacy, research, policy, human capital, nonprofit management or related field). The capacity to manage multiple projects and priorities at once and to communicate well with internal and external collaborators both virtually and in person is critical. Employees receive formal and on-the-job training in all aspects of our work and will be encouraged to grow and develop their careers within NPAG.
The Associate role is externally-facing and pivots quickly from navigating client/candidate relationships, supporting Principals, and stewarding projects and process (including executive search, human capital, and organizational consulting) from end to end, including coordination and preparation of meeting materials and deliverables. The flexibility to shift gears from connecting with a field leader to coordinating logistics for interviews is essential, and a commitment to continuous learning and authentic engagement is highly correlated with success.
Specific to executive search, the Associate will:
- Manage outreach to network contacts to develop deep, diverse, highly qualified candidate pools; manage high volume of contact points with authenticity and grace, capturing and tracking critical data and developing compelling and personally tailored outreach messages to engage leaders meaningfully around the challenges our clients face;
- Develop and write compelling client deliverables including position descriptions, which capture the excitement and opportunity inherent in each search, and narrative summaries that synthesize the relevant experiences and qualities emerging from each candidate’s background;
- Screen candidate applications and convey findings efficiently and thoughtfully to Principals and clients; conduct candidate interviews to more deeply understand candidates’ careers and to assess suitability of fit with the client organization;
- Reference check candidates thoroughly and systematically, and work with Principals to ensure clients’ questions and concerns are addressed in a manner befitting the importance NPAG places on deep, comprehensive referencing.
Specific to human capital and other organizational consulting, the Associate will:
- Research, conceptualize, and transform the composition and capabilities of talent and talent functions to meet the needs of the future of work in the mission-driven sector;
- Assist end-to-end change management for talent services, programs, and processes to identify, build, and drive success of organizations and their workforces.
Associates will contribute to regular company-wide meetings and discussions of a wide range of relevant issues and ongoing quality improvement to ensure NPAG benefits from the collective wisdom of all its team members.
QUALITIES OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Successful candidates will, first and foremost, be committed to serving the missions of our clients - including but not limited to effecting change that advances racial equity and justice, child welfare, gender justice, educational excellence and opportunity, and environmental sustainability. S/he/they will be an adept facilitator of process and relationships with colleagues, candidates, and clients. S/he/they will combine exceptional relational and active listening skills, curiosity and ability to synthesize information to build and tap networks effectively, discover and articulate the essential stories that illustrate candidates’ skills and experiences, and distill the unique assets and challenges faced by our clients. Associates are highly attuned to details and providing excellent client service, and responsive, engaging communicators who cultivate trust and rapport with clients, candidates, and colleagues. Our flexible, virtual consulting model necessitates consistent self-driven motivation and discipline to meet or exceed internal and external deadlines. Candidates will bring the following skills in various developmental stages:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills including superb grammar, writing, proofreading and editing ability;
- The ability to work independently and to problem-solve effectively balanced with the wisdom to know when to seek guidance;
- A strong detail orientation and an unwavering commitment to and pride in quality work;
- Fluency and facility with research, communications and project management tools and technology;
- Comfort and ability to communicate proactively, execute and work effectively in a virtual environment;
- The confidence and skill to appropriately question, engage, and advise senior leaders in their fields; ability to quickly and authentically build trust and rapport with leaders;
- Well-developed empathic skills and the ability to listen, learn from, and grow with colleagues from all walks of life; Desire to deeply engage with and advocate for equity, inclusion, and diversity in all its forms and join all your colleagues on a path toward anti-racism;
- An inclination toward and excitement about continuous learning and the drive to embrace new challenges and opportunities;
- A collegial, team-oriented working style;
- Willingness to seek out and act on constructive criticism;
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience), and three years’ relevant professional experience; and
- A sense of humor, spirit of collegiality, empathy, and patience to learn and teach others; appreciation for innovation, creativity, and fun in the workplace.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
Associates work within a scalable, billable compensation structure with rates between $40-60/hr plus benefits and bonus opportunity. Employees are eligible for benefits including health care reimbursement, 401K with employer matching, profit share, and PTO. Full-time equivalent Associates can expect to earn annual compensation of $60,000 to $105,000 plus benefits commensurate with experience.
Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications and resume (in Word format) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. NPAG is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and strives for authentic inclusion. We seek to build a team that reflects diversity of race, socioeconomic status, national origin, color, disability, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.