Do you want to work at the intersection of politics and Middle East policy and the Jewish community? Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
J Street seeks a professional to serve as an Assistant or Associate Regional Director to help expand its leadership development and political and operating support throughout the Northwest, with a strong focus on Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area. Working as an important member of the Northwest Regional team, s/he will be responsible for collaboratively executing a plan that grows the organization’s leadership ranks, raises operating and political funds, and advances the pro-Israel, pro-peace agenda in the American policy and Jewish communal arenas.
The ideal candidate will have a background in politics and/or the tech industry in California and able to leverage their experience to advance J Street’s ambitious goals. He/she should be skilled communicator, and highly organized self-starter who is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish community. This position is an outstanding opportunity for a talented, motivated individual to join an organization whose influence and reach are growing enormously year-to-year.
The ARD is part of a four-person team located primarily in Oakland that works throughout the Northwest United States and that works closely with, and depends on, local lay leaders to achieve fundraising, advocacy, political and communal goals. S/he will cultivate strong relationships with lay leaders, partnering with them to accomplish J Street’s goals. This position calls for periodic travel across the region.
Specific responsibilities include
- Grow the size of and abilities of J Street’s local leadership to pursue and achieve our ambitious political, advocacy and fundraising goals.
- Cultivating and managing relationships with existing regional donors, with an eye on maintaining and increasing their financial support for J Street as well as identifying and engaging new prospective donors;
- Planning and implementing high-impact donor and prospect events throughout the region that both raise new funds and expand J Street’s network of leaders;
- Working with supporters to nurture ongoing relationships with Senators and Members of Congress;
- Engaging in the key Senate and House races in the region, with a focus on managing relationships with campaigns of endorsed candidates and coordinating political fundraising.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following
- At least 4 years of experience in the workforce;
- Experience working on political campaigns, ideally in California;
- Background in fundraising and development work: coordinating meetings, making financial asks, and organizing fundraising events;
- Event planning experience;
- A personally engaging style, with a positive and proactive approach to working with leadership and other supporters;
- Strong organizational skills; able to prioritize multiple tasks as well as reconcile competing priorities, conscientious, intentional, trustworthy, and dependable, with an eye for details;
- Comfort with technology, data management, and online communications;
- Willingness to travel periodically and holds a valid driver’s license;
- Strong team skills: The ability to work within a structure that includes team members based in Oakland and across the country, including DC; and
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future of Israel, while advocating for an active U.S. leadership role to help achieve a two-state solution
More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with a staff of four and a limited budget, J Street is now a $9 million organization with a national staff of more than 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in eight cities including Oakland, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, New York, Denver, and Tel Aviv.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
The J Street family of organizations is comprised of
J Street, a 501(c)(4) organization and registered lobby that seeks to complement the work of existing organizations and individuals that share J Street’s agenda through lobbying and advocacy efforts.
The J Street Education Fund (JSEF), a legally independent 501(c)(3) organization that works to open up the conversation on Israel in the American Jewish community, educate Americans and elected officials about the urgent need for a two-state solution and organize Americans in support of active U.S. leadership to achieve this objective. JSEF’s operations include its regional, J Street U, rabbinic and educational programs.
JStreetPAC, the largest pro-Israel political action committee in the U.S. and the first PAC formed to endorse and raise money for federal candidates who champion pro-Israel, pro-peace policies, including a two-state solution. In 2016, JStreetPAC distributed a record high of $3.6 million to 124 endorsed candidates.
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience. Duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.
To Apply for the Position
This position is available immediately. Interested candidates should apply here and submit 1) A cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified; 2) A resume; and 3) A list of three references 4) Where you learned about this position.
J Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.