Taproot Foundation is seeking an Associate Program Manager to provide critical leadership and coordination in our programmatic effort in our Chicago office. This team member will play a critical role in shaping the success of Taproot’s work. Above all else, the successful candidate will be a dynamic, compelling communicator with the ability to build relationships with and influence nonprofit leaders, pro bono consultants and other experienced professionals. He or she must also be a consummate professional with a demonstrated track record of success.
Grant Making & Project Management
- Partner with the Program team to award service grants to Chicago nonprofits.
- Manage a portfolio of service grant projects to ensure weekly progress and to accomplish internal success metrics.
- Manage numerous relationships with both business and nonprofit executives.
- Become an expert on pro bono and effectively train others on core principles.
- Contribute to the development and execution of new approaches in our programmatic work.
- Support and participate in a range of projects, including but not limited to cross-functional projects and Powered by Pro Bono trainings.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Senior Program Manager.
Pro Bono Consultant Recruitment, Engagement & Retention
- Work with the team to strategize and implement volunteer recruitment, engagement & retention activities, including events and communications.
- Monitor overall status of Chicago pro bono consultant pool in order to properly report on and react to local needs.
Nonprofit Outreach and Consultation
- Serve as Taproot’s primary contact with the Chicago nonprofit community pertaining to our service offerings. Keep a pulse on innovative local nonprofits and be responsive to nonprofit program inquiries.
- Create and implement outreach strategies to ensure a robust grantee pool by identifying strong potential grantee organizations and providing support for the preparation of applications.
- Counsel nonprofits on applying for the right service grant project at the right time, in order to ensure impact.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase quality and impact of client engagements.
- Manage database content including Salesforce, intranet & online tools to support our programs.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate has proven ability in the skills required for the responsibilities listed above as well as genuine interest in joining an innovative, entrepreneurial nonprofit organization. The ideal candidate brings the following to the job:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a strong academic record (required), master’s preferred
Three or more years of relevant professional experience, preferably in one of the following fields: nonprofits, strategy, technology, marketing, human resources or finance (required)
Demonstrated effectiveness in verbal and written communication (required)
Strong presentation skills
Competencies in Salesforce, Constant Contact, Excel and WebEx
Passion for the mission of Taproot Foundation (required)
- Innovative, organized self-starter who thrives in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to assess and understand the needs of distinct audiences
- Ability to work independently while functioning effectively as a member of a team
- Leadership abilities-- Strong desire to take on substantial responsibility
- Creative Problem Solver-- Exceptional ability to learn quickly; strong analytical skills
- Honest, visionary, optimistic, and competent
If this describes you, please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume online at
This is a full-time exempt position in Chicago, Illinois and will report to the Senior Program Manager, Chicago office.
Taproot is a national nonprofit organization that makes business talent available at no cost to organizations working to improve society. We operate out of five US cities: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, and Washington DC and increasingly focus across the United States and globally. Our mission is to drive social change by leading, mobilizing and engaging professionals in pro bono service.
We engage the nation’s millions of business professionals in pro bono consulting through a spectrum of services anchored by our award-winning Service Grant program and by partnering with companies and national organizations to develop their own internal pro bono programs through our Advisory Services practice. One day, we envision that all organizations with promising solutions will be well equipped to successfully take on urgent social challenges.
At Taproot, everything we do follows our core values as we work toward achieving our mission:
Pragmatic Optimism: We believe it takes audacity to try to change the world and effective management to follow through.
Impact Oriented: We believe effective pro bono service put the needs of the client first.
Playful Professionalism: We believe when people integrate their personality and values into their work, they have the greatest impact and are most fulfilled.
Progress: We believe people, organizations and societies must constantly move forward to survive.
To learn more about Taproot, please visit www.taprootfoundation.org.
THE TAPROOT FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. The Taproot Foundation strives to reflect the diverse community it serves. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.