Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for an experienced Associate Philanthropy Portfolio Manager to join our Philanthropy team.
…..someone with experience managing complex philanthropic projects and a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that brings experts together to solve the biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan!
Empowered by our late founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Our “And” is the idea of bringing together a diversity of people, ideas, disciplines, approaches…in service of Paul Allen’s agenda for a better world. Taking an unorthodox approach to assemble elements that ordinarily would not be seen together. Philanthropy and profit-seeking enterprise. Brain science and art… You see that in the work we do. You see it in our people. And, is a way of life for us.
Come and work with us if you want to embrace your ‘And’ game. Learn about a broader range of subjects than you ever thought possible. Work across a variety of disciplines, projects, problems. Experience in one day what most people would not experience in ten years in their career. A place where #onlyatvulcan is not just a clever tagline, but is something you’ll find yourself saying. Constantly.
About the role
This role is responsible for managing philanthropic grants and projects within one or more of our programs (Oceans, Climate, Conservation and Communities). You’ll be working with a dynamic team to deliver impact, provide grantees and internal/external project partners with support and guidance, and plan activities to achieve intended outcomes.
As an Associate Philanthropy Portfolio Manager on our team you will be
- Represent the projects internally and externally, including through regular reporting to management
- Provide grantees and internal/external project partners with support and guidance
- Submission of deliverables and reports by grantees/vendors
- Provide approvals for grantee/vendor reports or other deliverables linked to payments
- Manage close out of projects including by ensuring all deliverables are received, all funds are received and spent, and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) reporting is complete
- Support development of new projects
Skills and experience that we’re excited about
- Proven track record of successful, results-oriented delivery of solutions that meet programmatic objectives
- Proven ability to bring disparate activities together into coherent narrative / theory of action
- Ability to learn issues and technical areas quickly. Comfortable working with technical counterparts at global and local level
- Strong analytical skills and work experience that has proven dexterity
- Skilled communicator with ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously. Highly-organized and efficient
- Demonstrate initiative to solve unstructured problems with high energy and persistence
- Excellent cross-group collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to work with virtual teams
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with ability to present both technical and programmatic information clearly and concisely to various audiences
- Ability to synthesize complex data sets, assess trends, and illuminate correlations
- Experience developing budgets and work plans, negotiation and administration of grants, contracts, allocation and tracking of expenses, and reporting
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2-3 years of relevant experience required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Graduate degree in domain, philanthropic management or related field preferred
- Experience working in oceans, climate, conservation or communities-related fields preferred
Our ideal candidate will have these characteristics
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Quick and resourceful with unflappable pivoting abilities
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.