Department: Government Affairs & Strategic Communications
Reports to: VP, Government Affairs & Strategic Communications
The Government Relations Associate will support the Government Affairs team in its effort to build relationships with key Congressional lawmakers to further policy that supports the philanthropic sector and will work with Council members to help them to be more effective in public policy and advocacy. Major responsibilities include: supporting the work of the entire staff team and management of the Council’s digital congressional management programs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as key staff support to the Director of Government Relations and the Vice President of Government Affairs and Strategic Communications.
- Serves as the key staff contact to connect Council members with Members of Congress and vice versa.
- Tracks policy-related news, publications, & other commentary from a variety of sources and disseminate information to the Government Relations and Communications team members identifying impact on the charitable sector
- Assists the Director of Government Affairs in monitoring legislation and congressional actions of legislation of interest to the Council and its members.
- Participates in planning and logistics for department and organizational events designed to increase the advocacy skills of Council members and their knowledge of important public policies.
- Assists in research and develops materials for Council projects and communications, including weekly briefs to Council members, regular communication to targeted congressional staff, Council member story boards and story-telling database, and any other communiques deemed beneficial.
- Maintains departmental data bases, congressional management tools, and other digital tools that assist the Government Affairs team.
- May act as Government Affairs liaison to other Council cross-departmental activities and projects.
- Provides general support, including administrative and logistical, as necessary.
- Over time, this role will represent the Government Affairs team in philanthropic coalitions and direct congressional relations management
- Exercises discretion and good judgment in the responsibilities associated with managing job function; works cooperatively, respectfully, and collaboratively with other employees; functions as a team player; and participates actively with his/her supervisor in improving job performance.
- Two-three years of substantive experience in government relations or public policy work.
- Online advocacy programs experience preferred, demonstrated ability to learn acceptable.
- Familiarity with how to interact with Congressional staff and law-making processes.
- Familiarity with the Tax Code and Treasury Regulations processes preferred.
- Broad understanding of the charitable sector is preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to organize assigned tasks and execute them with excellent customer service.
- Experience networking across sectors preferred.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary range of $50,000-$60,000
- Competitive benefits
Please apply online at https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1513346807?trk=cap_redirect