Intentional Philanthropy seeks a personable, motivated and highly organized individual to serve as an Associate, Finance and Foundation Operations supporting the firm’s Directors and foundation clients. We are a growing, entrepreneurial company providing grantmaking, administrative, foundation management, and consulting services to family and independent foundations. The Associate, Finance and Foundation Operations supports bookkeeping, foundation operations, and grants administration for the firm and a portfolio of foundations. This position is an exciting opportunity for someone wishing to work in a fast-paced environment and to learn more about the world of philanthropy, family foundations and accounting.
The finance team at Intentional Philanthropy provides operational excellence and integrity to the firm enabling client teams to support foundation boards in achieving greater community impact. Finance is responsible for improving internal systems, budgeting, expense tracking, grant payment and forecasting. Our culture is one of teamwork, and continuous learning and growth. The ideal person for this role is proactive, flexible, takes ownership of their work, has great attention to detail and a desire for excellence.
The Associate will partner closely with the Senior Director, Foundation Management and the Director of Finance, performing bookkeeping for several clients, participating in financial report creation and analysis, and supporting the firm’s overall accounting functions. This person will also lean into the operations of the business, taking on discrete responsibilities in partnership with the HR and Administrative teams. The Associate, Finance and Foundation Operations will have the unique opportunity to grow multilaterally across clients and help continue the success of the firm.
Finance and Accounting
- Support creation of monthly and quarterly finance and management reports for clients
- Assist with ad hoc analysis and projects to drive business decisions
- Receive and record payments into QuickBooks
- Track and record receipts for credit card expenses and expense reimbursements
- Record approved invoices, print and mail checks as needed
- Ensure all expenses are properly backed up with supporting records i.e., invoices and receipts
- Serve as primary contact for staff and vendors concerning accounts payable inquiries and issues
- Identify and assist in implementation of process improvements with Director of Finance
- Scan invoices to virtual team from incoming mail, print and mail checks on behalf of virtual team
Foundation Operations Support
- Under the direction of a Foundation Manager, support board in the set-up and standardization of policies, insurance, accounting processes, etc.
- Support one or more Directors in light grantmaking duties, including due diligence using grants software, review of applications and reports for completeness, and summarizing of key information
- Handle correspondence, telephone, and personal contact with trustees, applicants, and grantees regarding grantmaking guidelines and processes
- Perform record keeping, data entry, filing, and general administrative duties
- Stay current on philanthropy and nonprofit news, and share relevant articles with staff
Basic Candidate Requirements
- Strict attention to details and deadlines with a proactive work ethic
- Ability to follow through on assigned projects
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize competing demands
- Impeccable professional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree with accounting coursework and/or relevant experience in finance or accounting is a plus
Essential Candidate Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work with and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and clients, as well as high ethical standards and integrity
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks and shifting priorities
- Able to work in small office environment daily with other employees and clients in remote locations
- Takes their work seriously but doesn’t take themselves too seriously
- Actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal and professional growth
- Motivated by checking items off a to do list, and enjoys submitting work before the due date
- Enjoys the challenge of a learning curve, but never views routine tasks as a burden
Valued but Nonessential Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Online
- Experience in a professional services firm or philanthropy
- Experience with database management, grants management software, etc.
About Intentional Philanthropy
Intentional Philanthropy is a philanthropic advisory and management firm serving family foundations and independent foundations on grantmaking strategy, family foundation succession and foundation management. We help foundations define the change they want to see in the world, develop a strategy to accomplish that change, and vet and evaluate the nonprofits capable of bringing that vision to reality. We work with individuals and families at all stages of their philanthropic journey. We help those just starting out as well as those with years of practice.
We pride ourselves on providing right-sized solutions to our clients’ needs. Our work is high quality, yet our style remains down to earth and approachable. We value each other, our clients, and the dreams they have entrusted to us as their partners. www.intentionalphilanthropy.com
Candidates must submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining your relevant experience and specific interest to [email protected] by October 31, 2019 to be considered for this position. Please use this EXACT subject line: Associate, Finance and Foundation Operations.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with