iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students from low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. iMentor partners with public schools and matches every student in the school with a college-educated mentor. Mentors commit a minimum of three or four years to a single student. Mentor-mentee pairs work together through the iMentor curriculum, which is designed around four core outcomes: developing strong personal relationships between mentors and mentees, growing each mentee’s college aspiration, developing the non-cognitive skills critical to success in college, and successfully navigating the college exploration, application, financial aid, and transition process.
Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 13,000 students with mentors. This year, iMentor is serving 3,500 mentor-mentee pairs in New York City and 2,150 more nationwide. By 2018, iMentor will scale its growth nationally by doubling our annual enrollment in New York City, launching programs in three new cities, and expanding our portfolio of nonprofit partners who run iMentor’s program model in their local communities.
iMentor has been recognized through funding by the Carnegie Corporation, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, Robertson Foundation, and the Robin Hood Foundation, and we are also a recipient of a five-year Social Innovation Fund grant. As a team, we are collaborative, fun, bring passion and joy to our work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by Opportunity Knocks and The Nonprofit Times. Read more about our work and values at: http://www.imentor.org
iMentor is seeking an Associate Director of Foundation Relations to play a key role in the execution of iMentor’s institutional fundraising strategies, with a specific focus on foundation revenue sources for iMentor’s NYC and national work, securing new funding partnerships, and growing existing funder relationships. They will also be iMentor’s resident writer, with a primary focus on drafting and submitting proposals and other materials to meet annual fundraising goals. The ideal candidate will possess a passion for relationship-building, a keen eye for project management, and proven effective persistence. They will be an exceptional writer and storyteller who can translate iMentor’s work into compelling talking points and collateral. Reporting to the Managing Director of Development, the Associate Director of Foundation Relations will also play a critical role in managing cross-departmental collaboration efforts in order to procure information and data for grant application submissions.
iMentor is a fast-growing, entrepreneurial, and national organization with newly launched offices in Chicago and the Bay Area and a growing portfolio of non-profit partners around the United States. The Associate Director of Foundation Relations will have the exciting opportunity to help further iMentor’s work and impact on a national scale and build partnerships with some of the country’s top-tier foundations.
- Research foundation prospects to strengthen iMentor’s foundation revenue pipeline and support the development of cultivation strategies for both new and current foundation funders
- Write exceptional grant proposals and reports, letters of inquiry, internal briefing documents and memos, and other materials, that effectively and succinctly capture iMentor’s work and impact
- Build relationships with key departments within iMentor to aggregate data and information that will help inform and tailor grant requests to strongly align with the grant-making priorities of each foundation
- Manage internal grants calendar and schedule to ensure accurate proposals are submitted on time
- Update and maintain iMentor’s Salesforce database of foundation funders and prospects
- Support organization-wide and development team initiatives and events. Includes some weeknight evenings.
- 5+ years’ experience in relevant field with demonstrated success in grant and proposal writing, development, or journalism/public relations
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate clear, persuasive, and concise thoughts
- Strong contributor in team environments and driver of organizational culture; leverages input of stakeholders in order to move work forward
- Understanding of fundraising landscape and how to articulate iMentor’s role in the nonprofit sector
- Proven track record of successful internal and external relationship management with ability to propel connections toward mutually beneficial outcomes
- Displays exceptional project management skills while balancing multiple, complex projects in a highly deadline-driven environment
- Flexible and adaptive to effectively manage changing priorities and new opportunities.
- Takes a solutions-based, collaborative approach to drive change in work and navigate challenges
- Quick learner who demonstrates an eagerness to continually strengthen their understanding of iMentor’s work and seeks to continuously hone written communication skills
- Aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values (http://www.imentor.org/values)
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within iMentor
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory fingerprinting and criminal background check, conducted by the Division of Human Resources at the New York City Department of Education
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays + most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume, salary requirements, and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so it is in candidates’ best interest to apply as soon as possible. No phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity
Be the first to comment
Sign in with