About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation (CWF) is a global non-governmental organization on a mission to end the climate crisis. We partner with philanthropy, providing funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate giving strategies. We do this through a suite of programs and services:
Global Intelligence: Built on unique datasets, in-house expertise, and global partnerships, we provide insights and guidance on top areas for climate action and philanthropic strategies.
Global Grantmaking: We drive innovation and climate solutions that scale.
Through our portfolio of global and transnational climate mitigation strategies and grantmaking, we help funders maximize their philanthropic impact.
Global Collaborations: Climate solutions require unprecedented collective action. We facilitate collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact.
The Associate Director, Global Intelligence will lead strategy and implementation for ClimateWorks Foundation’s philanthropy-focused analytics. S/He will work under the direction of the Vice President of Global Intelligence and in close partnership with other departments and senior staff.
The Associate Director, Global Intelligence will engage with a variety of funders and other partners to understand their strategies, budgets, and issues that ClimateWorks’ intelligence services can help solve. As such, this is a unique opportunity to represent ClimateWorks both internally and externally and the individual must be professional and comfortable in front of funders and high level partners, and have good judgment and excellent communications skills in dealing with a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
This position will acquire, manage, and analyze data on a range of topics related to climate funding flows to build knowledge, identify investment priorities, and support effective deployment of funding. They will manage junior staff and consultants to support the projects, and work collaboratively with other intelligence asset and product owners across departments to develop a set of compelling, integrated, and clearly positioned products that meet the information needs of key audiences.
Join a growing team focused on equipping philanthropy and the climate community with insights to build and execute transformative climate strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
Steward Data Strategy
- Own and steward implementation of the expanded analytical product strategy for philanthropic data, including collaborations with other departments on the marketing and communications of services to targeted audiences
- Collaborate with other data owners across departments at ClimateWorks to develop an integrated and efficient product and service strategy
- Develop and manage annual workplans and detailed project plans including scope, timelines, and budgets
Manage Data Assets
- Lead the development and ongoing management of an integrated landscape of philanthropic datasets, including managing junior staff and overseeing contractors as needed
- Creatively identify, source, and incorporate new climate- and philanthropy-related datasets as needed to help deliver targeted, data-supported insights to a community of climate funders
- Together with junior staff and contractors, manage specialized database, including assuring impeccable quality of database and outgoing work products
- Oversee and ensure the security and confidentiality of sensitive data
- Work directly with senior leaders at ClimateWorks and at other institutions to determine the strategic implications of funding data
- Create strong, positive relationships with internal and external partners to support and grow the ClimateWorks Global Intelligence function
- Respond efficiently to stakeholder requests for information through production of custom analytics, reports, and infographics
Analysis and Data Visualization
- Develop data-supported findings and recommendations relevant to foundations working to end the climate crisis
- Design and manage multifaceted data collection and analysis assignments
- Together with junior staff, manage development of dashboards and presentations using tools including Excel, QlikSense, Tableau, and Salesforce
- Provide real-time analytical support for high level funder discussions
- Prepare briefings, background notes and presentations as needed for the senior leadership team and other climate mitigation funders on assigned topics
- Supervise one or more staff; proactively nurture staff talent through co-construction and management of performance goals, providing ongoing constructive and formal annual performance feedback, and co-creating and implementing professional development plans
This is a mid-level position including management of staff and contractors. The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Passion and aptitude for creatively applying data to social sector issues. Previous history working in or knowledge of climate-specific issues is a plus but not required.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to lay audiences, including through presentation skills and ability to create compelling data visualizations.
- Experience working in service to broad range of clients and stakeholders. Solutions-focused, collaborative personality.
- Experience leading projects and programs, including independent decision-making, particularly in analytical and customer-facing roles. Experience managing staff a plus.
- Strong analytical and programming skills, including in Excel and in a BI software such as Qlik or Tableau, or demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Proficiency or demonstrated ability to learn Salesforce preferred.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills, including strong project management skills.
- Strong writing, editing and communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Successful candidates will have 8+ years experience deploying a combination of the above skills in a professional setting.
- ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to building a staff that reflects the global community our mission serves. Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your fit for the role to: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/385a3e876b0f44b39140e3b49fed9885
Submissions received by Friday, August 7th will receive priority